• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
"If anything hits a nerve it is comments like these two, completely ridiculous over simplifications. Life is one big gray area and is full of compromise, most situations have much more than two options to choose from. And if we kept with the law and not people's opinions our country would be called England."

What's ridiculous is the fact that you live in live in a Gray area, you're part of the problem. Too many people want to stay in the "feel good" place and not take a stand for something. This "Republic" was started and meant to be all about Law and not about public opinion. When things are governed by public opinion you no longer have a Republic, you have a Democracy. That's a far cry from the way England does it, but this is getting way off topic.

What this thread/poll looks like to me is an attempt to vindicate an opinion. The poll already shows the way the majority of the users are used to seeing forums displayed. This reminds me of our current government, take a poll and try to get it to show what you want. If it doesn't, claim it was only for everyone's own good and find someone or something to target in order to take attention of of the real topic.
The other way this reminds me of our current political situation is the way you have not backed up your side of the debate with any facts. You've only called my posts stupid or ridiculous turning a fact based debate into something fueled by emotion.

CCW, while I don't much agree with him is the only person that has backed up his view with hard facts even if they are given in a sarcastic manor.

What facts need to be presented? Nobody asked anything about how it is LEGALLY done. It was a simple poll to find out what
the users of the forum would like. It doesn't mean that anybody here is going to take it to the courthouse. It doesn't mean anybody
is out to do illegal things. It was a simple poll that asked simple questions and you want to turn it around into something it's not. It
was an OPINION poll.

It doesn't matter that Steve leaned one way or another. The simple fact that he put up the poll to ask for input should be enough.
Most other places would do as they please and have you abide by it.

I ask you this simple question. What difference does it make to you where they go?

BTW CCW did nothing more than point out how two companies list them. While I agree with the way they list them, it does not make
it right or wrong for them to list them that way. It is just the way they do it.

Last edited:
"If anything hits a nerve it is comments like these two, completely ridiculous over simplifications. Life is one big gray area and is full of compromise, most situations have much more than two options to choose from. And if we kept with the law and not people's opinions our country would be called England."

What's ridiculous is the fact that you live in live in a Gray area, you're part of the problem. Too many people want to stay in the "feel good" place and not take a stand for something. This "Republic" was started and meant to be all about Law and not about public opinion. When things are governed by public opinion you no longer have a Republic, you have a Democracy. That's a far cry from the way England does it, but this is getting way off topic.

What this thread/poll looks like to me is an attempt to vindicate an opinion. The poll already shows the way the majority of the users are used to seeing forums displayed. This reminds me of our current government, take a poll and try to get it to show what you want. If it doesn't, claim it was only for everyone's own good and find someone or something to target in order to take attention of of the real topic.
The other way this reminds me of our current political situation is the way you have not backed up your side of the debate with any facts. You've only called my posts stupid or ridiculous turning a fact based debate into something fueled by emotion.

CCW, while I don't much agree with him, is the only person that has backed up his view with hard facts even if they are given in a sarcastic manor.

If anything, I'm sure there are plenty of users that have enjoyed reading this. I know I can't wait to read you next post.

Apparently you misunderstood the reference. What I am saying is if no one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from the law and no one should question the law, then our country would still be a colony of England.

How in the world can a country be all about law and not about public opinion? Who is it that makes the laws? Are the laws not based upon someone's opinion? Don't we elect people to pass our laws and we choose to elect them based on their opinions? Did I miss the part where there is a divine force that gives us our laws and we are not allowed to question them? And just to clarify something else, this site is neither a democracy or a republic, or a government at all, if it is anything it is a dictatorship by definition.

Taking a stand for something is fine, but everything you do doesn't have to be a stand on something. Sorry if I like to "feel good" sometimes. And most issues do not have a clear cut right and wrong answer, that is just an over simplification.

This thread isn't an attempt to vindicate an opinion, I do not need my opinion to be vindicated. The thread is just to see how others feel about it. Just as you state your opinion, I state mine. Do I need to be impartial because it is my site?

What facts need to be presented? Nobody asked anything about how it is LEGALLY done. It was a simple poll to find out what
the users of the forum would like. It doesn't mean that anybody here is going to take it to the courthouse. It doesn't mean anybody
is out to do illegal things. It was a simple poll that asked simple questions and you want to turn it around into something it's not. It
was an OPINION poll.

It doesn't matter that Steve leaned one way or another. The simple fact that he put up the poll to ask for input should be enough.
Most other places would do as they please and have you abide by it.

I ask you this simple question. What difference does it make to you where they go?

BTW CCW did nothing more than point out how two companies list them. While I agree with the way they list them, it does not make
it right or wrong for them to list them that way. It is just the way they do it.

OK Super Mod, you are right about some things and way off on others.

first off you are right it is an opinion poll and when I expressed my opinion those that do not agree with me jumped on every word. Can I not have an opinion. There have been many points here that I could have launched a personal attack on, but in my experience this does no good to either end of a debate. Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy to discuss opinions. The difference is I will try not purposely insult you, but if you take my views as an insult that on you.

Second, if you are going to have a debate you will need facts or examples to prove your point or your point is useless and only an opinion. That's a fact.

A poll can not be a totally objective poll when an owner puts it out there and then campaigns (not just vote) for one side or the other. Being an owner does carry weight with some people. That's why I've stated that Steve has done a "pretty good" job over all. This is not an attack and never has been on Steve and should not be taken that way.

I wouldn't think that the users of this site would do anything illegal, but I would plan for it. Not planning for the worst will only leave you exposed. I've learned the hard way that it's never a good idea to leave yourself not covered. My first debate with "others" here over this topic was centered around the "protecting yourself" idea. Well, the protecting yourself, what is considered a firearm, and if a mod should be able to move or delete on his opinion only to be exact. I asked for at that time so I would know how to post.

What difference does it make to me? Same as you, none. I simply voted and expressed my opinion and like you, some felt compelled to debate my opinion.

You miss the point about what CCW did. He posted examples of how two major companies do things in support of his opinion. He is using the examples as fact that this is how it should be done and his opinion is correct (or this is how I took it anyway, I might be wrong CCW would have to chime in to tell for sure). My point is, although I do not agree with him, he has a much better chance of convincing me he is correct than someone that just blurts out "thats stupid". It shows a level of intelligence and convection of his views.

Holy crap this will teach you to try and do something democratically around here. Have bought and sold many AR lowers - I personally feel they are a better fit in the rifle section. To me i makes sense because the laws around the private party sale will be those of ANY firearms - complete and ready to fire or not.

That being said - it's really all just personal preference...

Now - as an aside - it has chapped my ass for YEARS that Craigslist aggressively bans people from selling LEGAL firearms and firearms related material, while openly allowing ILLEGAL hardcore prostitution ads at the same time. How hypocritical can you get? Mind you I support legalizing drugs and prostitution, regulating and taxing it ....but to see these guys social agenda just makes me sick.

Apparently you misunderstood the reference. What I am saying is if no one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from the law and no one should question the law, then our country would still be a colony of England.

How in the world can a country be all about law and not about public opinion? Who is it that makes the laws? Are the laws not based upon someone's opinion? Don't we elect people to pass our laws and we choose to elect them based on their opinions? Did I miss the part where there is a divine force that gives us our laws and we are not allowed to question them? And just to clarify something else, this site is neither a democracy or a republic, or a government at all, if it is anything it is a dictatorship by definition.

Taking a stand for something is fine, but everything you do doesn't have to be a stand on something. Sorry if I like to "feel good" sometimes. And most issues do not have a clear cut right and wrong answer, that is just an over simplification.

This thread isn't an attempt to vindicate an opinion, I do not need my opinion to be vindicated. The thread is just to see how others feel about it. Just as you state your opinion, I state mine. Do I need to be impartial because it is my site?

I sure hope you didn't miss the Divine laws. You can feel free to question them if you want. I bring this up in law because just about every law we have in place now are taken from the first ten. Not much more Divine than that. I don't vote anyone in office to make up laws, instead I vote for the person who I think will get rid of some of the crazy laws out there, and will lower my taxes all while trying to get this country back to a Republic. Because a Republic is a form of government ruled by law and not public opinion we can differ in opinion on topic that might be very popular one without fear. What you speak of is what's been happening for years and needs to be stopped.

As for what this site is, you bet it's a dictatorship. That's a fact that I've brought up two times before already.

Every thing you do is taking a stand on something. If you do nothing you are taking a stand too. Doing the right thing while being prepared feel pretty good. Knowing that you always weigh right and wrong with every decision and not try to stay in the gray feel pretty good too.

Your opinion counts just as much as everyone else's does and you should have the right to express it, right or wrong. I've never said anything to the contrary and never will. I have said that your opinion could have and influence over others because you are the owner.

Holy crap this will teach you to try and do something democratically around here. Have bought and sold many AR lowers - I personally feel they are a better fit in the rifle section. To me i makes sense because the laws around the private party sale will be those of ANY firearms - complete and ready to fire or not.

That being said - it's really all just personal preference...

Now - as an aside - it has chapped my ass for YEARS that Craigslist aggressively bans people from selling LEGAL firearms and firearms related material, while openly allowing ILLEGAL hardcore prostitution ads at the same time. How hypocritical can you get? Mind you I support legalizing drugs and prostitution, regulating and taxing it ....but to see these guys social agenda just makes me sick.

Now this would be a fun topic to discuss and debate.

"Every thing you do is taking a stand on something." So when I had a chicken sandwich for lunch, what stand was I taking? How about when I called my girlfriend earlier today? Or when I checked my email? Why does everything we do have to have so much meaning to it? Why does every question have to have a right or wrong answer, no middle ground, no gray area?

Apparently I'm just going to have to ignore this thread, the blanket statements are too frustrating and you seem to have a new one in each post.

Back
Top Bottom