• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is engraving required?? Form 1 sbr

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
236   0
Reaction score
So before people jump straight down to the comments and slaughter me, here out my logic for asking if a form 1 sbr NEEDS to be engraved....

We are allowed to build complete rifles and pistols from 80% receivers and as the individual completing it, that makes you the manufacturer and is is legal if you do not transfer it and it stays in your possession. Is this not correct? You do not have to engrave it until you decide to sell it. Is this also not correct?

So, if I am correct with the above logic, then wouldn't a form one SBR only be required to be engraved if you decide to sell/transfer it? Unless there is something specifically requiring it. I don't know. Chime in ODT

So before people jump straight down to the comments and slaughter me, here out my logic for asking if a form 1 sbr NEEDS to be engraved....

We are allowed to build complete rifles and pistols from 80% receivers and as the individual completing it, that makes you the manufacturer and is is legal if you do not transfer it and it stays in your possession. Is this not correct? You do not have to engrave it until you decide to sell it. Is this also not correct?

So, if I am correct with the above logic, then wouldn't a form one SBR only be required to be engraved if you decide to sell/transfer it? Unless there is something specifically requiring it. I don't know. Chime in ODT

I remember there was a discussion a while ago about this and I thought that was the point that was muddying the waters. Maybe others can chime in but some say you dont have to engrave it until selling it some say you have to engrave it before or after you finish the build.

It seems to me you're talking about two different things... an 80% pistol or rifle you complete yourself is different than a Class III / NFA firearm (such as an SBR), no matter whether it started out as an 80% receiver or not. If it qualifies as an SBR, AOW, SBS or whatever, you have to abide by the NFA rules.

If it belongs to a trust then it must be engraved. If it was registered as an individual then it doesn't require engraving unless you decide to sell it. Many will disagree but this is my understanding and my practice.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

Back
Top Bottom