is this hunting? (wait and spear)

I have one last thing to say about this.. . .i haven't had meat in 11.5 years . .,. . . . . . How Did that pig taste? Pork chops wrapped in bacon? BBQ ? Pork roast..? Anything? Bacon? Makes my mouth water thinking about it. . . Dam genetics

You must be one heck of a shot LSU! Bet that freezer is stuffed!
I hear a couple stories a year about invincible game just from buddies. They'll get a clean shot on them, in the butter zone, and bambi runs off. Try and realize medically what is happening to a critter when you shoot it. You are stopping it's heart VIA trauma from a projectile impact. If you are a good shot, you get the spine with the heart and it drops because it can no longer send and receive signals to it's limbs. While it may APPEAR more humane, it's still taking that bugger a good 5 minutes to die once his heart stops, thereby reliving it's little brain of oxygen.
FT,
I guess it's all relative. I shot in three smallish bench rest hunter rifle matches and placed in all of them (3rd, 2nd and tied for 1st). That was even with a 6HLS while the other guys were using .30s. (I also shot in one group match and sucked eggs). I was raised by a VERY competitive and accomplished shooter (I'll never be anywhere as good as he was with any type firearm) so I do have a thing about accuracy even with hunting rifles but no, I'm no great hunting shot with a rifle, at least I don't think so. But to use your term, here's why I'm a 'heck of a shot', not only do I not shoot at running deer, I don't shoot at MOVING deer, period. A deer is way too simple to stop in it's tracks (unless spooked already) for an easy shot. There is no reason to shoot at one moving. Get your crosshairs on it, bleat right before you want to pull the trigger, and then pull it. Also, I never shoot without a rock solid rest. Shooting a deer is by FAR the easiest part of deer hunting (presumably we can all agree with that?)
I hear those same stories as you. I've yet to see a heart/lung deer run more than a few yards. Yet, it's amazing how many deer that were "good shots" are never recovered.... along with the evidence of said "good shot". :rolleyes: Also interesting when you find out it was a free hand shot and the deer was at a full run at 100+ yards....
A lung shot deer can run as long as he can hold it's breath in theory. In practice, I've never had one go 50 yards. (Now that I've typed all that, I'll lose my first one this year and it'll be the buck of a lifetime... :mad: )
Actually I don't have any venison in my freezer. My then 9 year old son turned the freezer off last year (for a reason he still can't tell me) and forgot to turn it back on. He got to clean it out. :)
I've never shot a deer in the spine. The ones that fell in their tracks without a twitch were heart/lung (it's the only shot I've ever taken on deer). I've never neck shot a deer which of course everyone swears has a much greater liklihood of dropping in their tracks (I like neck roasts).
If you honestly think it's takes a heart/lung shot deer FIVE minutes to die after full cardiac arrest... well.... OK. Maybe I'm just lucky and the ones I shoot are just wimps with no will to live. ;) Hopefully I can find another one this fall.

Last edited:
I understand the shoulder shot, and the heart lung low behind the shoulder, but I've seen a lot of neck shots posted. What's the story?
Supposedly much more impact on the central nervous system. Guys who use it, swear by it for a quick drop. Problem for me is, they move their necks too much. :)

Back
Top Bottom