is this hunting? (wait and spear)

nevermind the spear. Killing anything from a stand over bait is not hunting. It is killing. I don't per say have a problem with it, but I have no interest in doing it, nor do I consider it hunting.

I can condone that as a method of eradication of a nuisance species. But it sure is not hunting.

Civilized people take game in the most humane and efficient method at their disposal. To let that animal suffer that way unnecessarily is probably a sign of underlying mental illness. It would be different if he was in a survival situation.

I tend to agree with this.
Hunting from a treestand has always seemed more like "waiting" than hunting. I guess there aren't many opportunities to spot and stalk down here though.

I think I may have inferred it more than you implied it.

If I were able to, I would love to stalk and take a medium size game animal with a "primitive" weapon, but ONLY if I was very, very good at it. Never will be, so it won't happen! Were I to hunt deer, hogs and the like, I would definitely use a rifle, as that is the only thing I would feel confident enough to use. Maybe a pistol.

Happy hunting! :thumb:
I'm "primitive" enough without adding the disadvantage of a sub par weapon to the mix. ;)
I've got a Muzzle loader but it's a modern inline. I only use it during ML season. I've only taken it a couple of times so I've never shot a deer with it, yet. But I'm very confident that it'll deliver more than a sufficient wallup. (It sure does on the opposite end.)

I'm "primitive" enough without adding the disadvantage of a sub par weapon to the mix. ;)
I've got a Muzzle loader but it's a modern inline. I only use it during ML season. I've only taken it a couple of times so I've never shot a deer with it, yet. But I'm very confident that it'll deliver more than a sufficient wallup. (It sure does on the opposite end.)

Ha Ha!! I needed that!

Guy is sick, as are all who glee in the suffering of anything. Hog probably got away and died in the bush. If he had a set, he would have snared it and killed it humanely. No glory in suffering, only a deep seated sickness. He needs hamstrung and left to die slowly where the hogs can clean up the mess. We should have evolved since the iron age.

There is nothing wrong with spear hunting, bow hunting, or hunting with a sling shot as long as you are prepared to dispatch the animal quickly if you do not kill it on your first shot. To stand back and just watch it die slowly is either cowardice or sadism.

Go on a hog hunt with dogs and a knife. It takes some balls to reach in there and kill that hog with a knife. If you are not prepared to do that, then use a gun.

i dont know if his intentions were to have it die slowly, still i would personally use a firearm

Hunting indeed. Nothing wrong with honing primitive skills. Hate to see it suffer, thats never fun to watch. Personally I would have tried to get down there after the initial "outburst" and put him out of his misery, but thats just me.

The suffering was needless to the degree that the spear dropper allowed it to occur.

It sounded too much like a bunch of liberals protesting and we all know they need to be put out of their misery... :pray2:

What exactly are folks calling inhumane? That Hog was dead the second that pilum went through it's spine and heart. I guess someof you guys use those magical rifle rounds that instantly drop game, shutting down its central nervous system the second the projectile penetrates? You shoot a hog, even if it's a perfect "shoulder,heart,shoulder" shot, it's still got to bleed out, at which time it has a few minutes after the blood starts pumping before its brain shuts down and it's ACTUALLY dead.

So no, this is not inhumane in my eyes. A critter dying from bleeding out is the generally accepted method of killing game. A spear makes just as big a hole as a rifle, AND it'll leave a bigger blood trail, ENSURING that you can find the animal. How many guys do you know who shoot a hog or deer only to have it run off and die on the next lease over?

Only way this kill could have been MORE humane is if he used a broader blade (though as quick as that piggy died...), and managed to pin it to the ground. As for hunting over bait, if it was good enough for indigenous peoples, i see no dishonor in bait hunting either- especially if you're gonna eat the bacon anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom