is this hunting? (wait and spear)

What exactly are folks calling inhumane? That Hog was dead the second that pilum went through it's spine and heart. 1) I guess someof you guys use those magical rifle rounds that instantly drop game, shutting down its central nervous system the second the projectile penetrates? You shoot a hog, even if it's a perfect "shoulder,heart,shoulder" shot, it's still got to bleed out, at which time it has a few minutes after the blood starts pumping before its brain shuts down and it's ACTUALLY dead.

So no, this is not inhumane in my eyes. 2) A critter dying from bleeding out is the generally accepted method of killing game. A spear makes just as big a hole as a rifle, AND it'll leave a bigger blood trail, ENSURING that you can find the animal. 3) How many guys do you know who shoot a hog or deer only to have it run off and die on the next lease over?

Only way this kill could have been MORE humane is if he used a broader blade (though as quick as that piggy died...), and managed to pin it to the ground. As for hunting over bait, if it was good enough for indigenous peoples, 4) i see no dishonor in bait hunting either- especially if you're gonna eat the bacon anyhow.
Since you made a follow up post you are apparently wanting some feedback so sure..... Some very interesting statements in there (bolded).
1) I guess I do. I never realized it was magic though. About half the deer I've shot are dead either instantly or within 5 seconds and I've never had one moving (as that pig was ) beyond 10 seconds.
2) Where in the world did you get such a notion? I've hunted since I could walk and that concept has NEVER been even remotely acceptable for ANY game I've ever hunted (nor anyone I've ever hunted with). The 'generally accepted method' is to kill whatever it is as quickly as possible. Hell I don't let coyotes or crows suffer. Shot a coyote three times with a .22-250 and was climbing down from the stand I was in as quick as possible with .44 in hand to finish off the twitching even though it was fatal after the 2nd shot for sure just to end it's suffering. (It was dead long before I ever reached the ground). Had another buddy put I don't know how many rounds from a .22 into a crow at point blank range trying to definitively kill it. (VERY tough birds.)
3) Several people of course. The vast majority are with archery equipment. As stated that's the main reason I personally don't archery hunt but have no issue with those who choose to do so responsibly. I have never shot a deer and lost it. (Yes the occasional wing shot bird of some sort or another has surely flown off and died somewhere else.) But then again, I use rifles up to the task and only takes shots I'm very sure of. I don't 'miss' because I don't takes shots where I could miss. The store sells meat. It's not worth it to me to go slinging lead (or arrows) on a wing and a prayer hoping I get "lucky". Yeah it's "just an animal" but since I'm at the top of the food chain, I get to make the rules within the law and I choose to play by those for lots of reasons.
4) Ok.... great?

What exactly are folks calling inhumane? That Hog was dead the second that pilum went through it's spine and heart. I guess someof you guys use those magical rifle rounds that instantly drop game, shutting down its central nervous system the second the projectile penetrates? You shoot a hog, even if it's a perfect "shoulder,heart,shoulder" shot, it's still got to bleed out, at which time it has a few minutes after the blood starts pumping before its brain shuts down and it's ACTUALLY dead.

So no, this is not inhumane in my eyes. A critter dying from bleeding out is the generally accepted method of killing game. A spear makes just as big a hole as a rifle, AND it'll leave a bigger blood trail, ENSURING that you can find the animal. How many guys do you know who shoot a hog or deer only to have it run off and die on the next lease over?

Only way this kill could have been MORE humane is if he used a broader blade (though as quick as that piggy died...), and managed to pin it to the ground. As for hunting over bait, if it was good enough for indigenous peoples, i see no dishonor in bait hunting either- especially if you're gonna eat the bacon anyhow.

You might want to watch the second 1/2 of that video again. At approximately 1:15 he drops (can't even throw it mind you) a spear into the hog. At around 1:35 the hog knocks the first spear out as he is writhing around. At around 1:59, as it looks like the hog is bleeding out, he puts another spear in him which gets the hog writhing around again. Then immediately after that hit, there is a screen swipe (or whatever technical term you use) so you have no idea how much time went by. Then at 2:13 the video ends with the pig still writhing. So that is at least a minute (and obviously more time passed) that he could have either shot the thing as he cowered from above or climbed down a 10 foot ladder and dispatched it.

I said it several times in this thread that I do not care what tool you use to hunt. You can even "kill" something over bait (although that ain't hunting). The problem I had with it is that he should have ended it instead of continuing to film it so he could put it online.

When I hunt I hunt to put it down quickly. I use a rifle, and I generally get closer than bow hunters. I think my longest shot last year on a deer was 40 yards, and none of them ever run more than 20 - 30 yards. My goal is to put it down quickly so it does not suffer and then eat it. His goal was to film it.

You must be one heck of a shot LSU! Bet that freezer is stuffed!
I hear a couple stories a year about invincible game just from buddies. They'll get a clean shot on them, in the butter zone, and bambi runs off.

Try and realize medically what is happening to a critter when you shoot it. You are stopping it's heart VIA trauma from a projectile impact. If you are a good shot, you get the spine with the heart and it drops because it can no longer send and receive signals to it's limbs. While it may APPEAR more humane, it's still taking that bugger a good 5 minutes to die once his heart stops, thereby reliving it's little brain of oxygen.

Sorta like lethal injection. it APPEARS "humane", but trust me, those guys are in a special hind of purgatory right up until the light fades.

To be "Humane" is a very modern concept I'd argue. The vast majority of us hunt for SPORT, whether eating the prey or not. We USUALLY have the option of buying some "humanely" executed bovine products from Kroger or the like. I'd also say that unless you are destroying the animals brain instantly, you are being just as humane as the next guy, whether using a spear, flame thrower or 300winmag- added advantage of flamethrower being instant bacon. :p

I was always taught to never take a shot at a running deer. I was also taught that if you shoot a dove or quail, the second the bird is in your hand you pop it's little head off. I know most guys in GA HAVE to take the running shot due to terrain here. I wouldn't fault them from lung-shooting bambi and having to track spots for 15 minutes before they find him.

It's all semantics basically :)

Nature is far more "in-humane" than some old guy with a spear having the time of his life, but we are "above" the animals, right?

Things to contemplate.

you all are more than welcome to disagree, but I'd prefer civil debate if there is to be one :)

I'm with FbodTrek on this.

The guy in the video didn't just drop the spear, he threw it. I've cleaned a pig before & their skin is tough enough to make me think twice on what a sharp blade is. If by chance he didn't hit the spine and the pig ran off to die from bleeding, the video would have shown like any other hunting video.You would have seen the man tracking the pig & find it somewhere in the woods. Not all animals die right off from being shot. How many stories have you heard where the heart was completely gone but the deer still ran off? Or of a lung shot where the deer run's but still has to lie down somewhere while its choking on it's own blood. Do those animals suffer any less because a rifle/bow/handgun was used? I personally don't think so.

Now if I had made that spear throw, I would have gotten down from the stand and cut the pigs throat or jabbed it in the jugular with the spear to speed up the process. I don't like seeing things in pain either, but it is something you have will have to deal with if you hunt. The guy in the video might have been worried about getting bitten so just threw the second spear to help speed up the process. Its something people also do while using a rifle if they don't get that DRT shot that they're looking for.

I also imagine hunting pig isn't that fun since you can never predict where they'll be unless you bait them. Getting close to a large pig like that while on the ground and just a spear would be nerve racking knowing that if any one of the big ones see's me I need an easy tree to climb asap. If the guy eat's the pig I see nothing wrong. I'm sure he spent a lot of time practicing with that spear to get good enough from a tree stand. Now if the guy just speared the pig in the gut it would be a whole different matter. People should stop viewing all the things he did wrong & think of what he was able to do right with the tool he took to hunt with.

Also anybody that puts a camera on his bow/rifle or tree stand is filming a "snuff" film.....just because this pig didn't die off screen doesn't mean it didn't hurt any more than other films you watched where the animal ran off.

I truly do not get what is so hard about "put the thing out of it's misery". We are not talking about what happens in nature. We are talking about a human's responsibility to respect nature (even those darn hogs). Someone who had at least a minute, and by the looks of it, well over a minute to do it. He could have shot it. He could have climbed down and finished it. Instead he chose to throw a second spear, after dropping the first one (and yeah he dropped the first spear) and continue filming.

And we are also not taking about getting a bad shot off and the animal goes running for 5 miles never to be seen from again. That is not your intention, but it even happens to the best of us. BUT the intention for this guy was clearly to film it plain and simple. He had a camera on the spear and another camera in his hand. He had an opportunity to end it, but instead he chose to continue filming it. If you consider that respecting nature, well then I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Consider that those things are about 6 feet long, that was a good sized hog, fighting for its life-dangerous to get close to.

I agree, he could have followed up with head shot, tarzan from the tree with a knife, etc. Dude looks pretty "aged" (no offense to the wiser members here :) )
Perhaps the group that ran off didn't go far and he didn't want to get gored? No telling really. I'd say that as far as a primitive weapons kill go, this was quite a good kill.

Back
Top Bottom