• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jumper cable issue

Those didn't come in a bag, but I would have used it for something else if they did.
Some days I'd change trucks 2 or 3 times and none of them were my truck so everything got transferred each time. They jumped off a matric ton of excavators, bulldozers, loaders, and old junk onsite dump trucks.
Yep, you need them that heavy to jump off equipment. Those cheapo's wouldn't hold up, they would heat up and melt.

Scrap the copper and buy a new pair. Or waste time trying to salvage that old deteriorated rubber because you have some weird sentimental attachment to a pair of jumper cables.
No sentimental attachment to anything I own. New ones like those cost more than I'll spend since I don't fool with heavy equipment more than 2 times a year. You can't buy these at Walmart or advanced auto. I'm not spending any money on em, I have everything needed to correct them the right way.

A "good" set of Made in the USA, 20 ft, #2 cable, with 500 amp clamps can cost as much as $200 :shocked:
From the pictures, the damage appears to be at both ends.
You could cut out the damaged ends and thread the good cable through some non-conductive braided cable sleeving then reinstall the ends.
Would cost about $20 to repair :)

A "good" set of Made in the USA, 20 ft, #2 cable, with 500 amp clamps is about $200 :shocked:
From the pictures, the damage appears to be at both ends.
You could cut out the damaged ends and thread the good cable through some non-conductive braided cable sleeving then reinstall the ends.
Would cost about $20 to repair :)
Heck, I have 100' of 2'0 cable but these need to be at least 4'0.
I'm not saying 2ga vs 4ga, this is the size that most folks have run to their house from the transformer. If I wake up early enough today I'll cut a piece of 2ga and lay it beside these and it'll help in comparison..

Those didn't come in a bag, but I would have used it for something else if they did.
Some days I'd change trucks 2 or 3 times and none of them were my truck so everything got transferred each time. They jumped off a matric ton of excavators, bulldozers, loaders, and old junk onsite dump trucks.

I'm from the beach, all the truck gear stays in a tote or bag. You'll go through a set every 2 years if you don't keep it protected. Old habits die hard.

Okay, Forget red and Green.

Use Red and Black to match the color coding on the vehicle's battery and probably its factory cables.

But if I could dictate the color coding of wiring harnesses in vehicles I would make black the hot / positive wire just like it is for household wiring. Let's keep it all the same for the sake of consistency.
Green would be for ground--on vehicles, that would be a frame ground for the negative side power.

Okay, Forget red and Green.

Use Red and Black to match the color coding on the vehicle's battery and probably its factory cables.

But if I could dictate the color coding of wiring harnesses in vehicles I would make black the hot / positive wire just like it is for household wiring. Let's keep it all the same for the sake of consistency.
Green would be for ground--on vehicles, that would be a frame ground for the negative side power.
Let's don't re-invent the wheel. That theology will screw folks up even worse than they are now.

Back
Top Bottom