• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Just want some input

dwilson42

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some input from the more mechanically inclined than myself.

So my daily driver is 93 Silverado I got a heck of a deal on the truck a couple years ago $1800 is what I paid and since I have had it I got around $2700 in it now with new tires and repairs that have been made. When I bought it it had 150,000 original miles on it now its about 174,000. Overall its been a good truck until the last couple of months but a head gasket gave out and then one sensor after another but finally its running good again but now its leaking about 1/2 quart every couple days from the valve cover and has a coolant leak somewhere. I know these are minor things but this is the third time that same valve cover has leaked since I have had the truck. I am considering saleing the truck and getting something newer with lower miles my budget would be about $8000 to $10000.

Here is where i would like some input I am a tight wad to spend that kind of money would kill me so do you think id be better off at this point to dump more money into the old silverado to get it all fixed id say tops id be looking at $500 but never know what could go wrong next or sale it and buy something newer with low miles?

If sale what are some recommendations make model motor?

I'd be tempted to grab a low-mileage engine from a yard and run it some more.
I just sent off my last car payment last Friday and am looking forward to having one less bill to worry about each month.

4x2 or 4x4?
4.3 or 5.7? Or 5.0?

Replace the valve cover and gasket, not just the gasket. And do both sides when you do. If you know a mechanic, it would be a good time to check and adjust the valves and run a compression test.

Faced that issue myself recently. I fixed my truck. The problem is that 8-10K only gets you another well used vehicle which may have the same problems soon enough...

I'd be tempted to grab a low-mileage engine from a yard and run it some more.
I just sent off my last car payment last Friday and am looking forward to having one less bill to worry about each month.

well the bottom end on that engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago and I pretty well rebuilt the top end when the head gasket gave out really just the valve cover needs to be replaced on the drivers side i think it warped or something is why it keeps leaking and now just getting worse my concern is the mileage and what is going to go next

4x2 or 4x4?
4.3 or 5.7? Or 5.0?

Replace the valve cover and gasket, not just the gasket. And do both sides when you do. If you know a mechanic, it would be a good time to check and adjust the valves and run a compression test.

5.7 4x4 but it dont work and the valves and compression test were done when the heads went back on after the new head gasket and yea that very true

Easy answer:

Repair your truck by either picking up a used engine or a crate motor or buying the parts and fixing it. A newer truck comes with a new truck payment and it's still used so you may have to make repairs to it while also making a payment and that could get more expensive than just fixing it while it's paid off.

My step father has an old 90's Silverado with a 350 motor and he currently has over 358,000 miles on it. He calls it Ol' Blue and she still hauls his wood for him.

Thanks for the input guys I reckon I will just fix it I mean worse case i put a grand in it and it blows up in another year or two I am still coming out pretty good

Back
Top Bottom