• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kimber

Is that rust or a heat mark from being run hard?

It's rust. That was what I found after I took it out of the safe after a month. I had only taken it out to the range two times and run 50 rounds through it each time. I cleaned it and oiled it with CLP each time before it went back in the safe. That was a crappy cell phone picture I took. It looked worse in person than the pictures make it seem.

Lots of makers use carbon steel for barrels and many match grade barrels come in carbon steel. The rust is more of a cosmetic issue; I know it's hard to swallow after dropping 1K or more dollars on a gun. You could see if Kimber would replace it but guess what; it's likely to be another carbon steel one.

I'd call it a day but if it bugs you, the best bet is to lightly bead blast it. I'd be careful sanding/polishing where the bushing locks up as if the diameter is reduced it will affect accuracy.

What oil you using?

A good oil should have prevented that. I use CLP/Breakfree or occasionally RIG grease. A heavy grease would do best to prevent this too. For greasing the barrels I use two fingers and apply a very light coat of grease to some pistol barrels.

Lots of makers use carbon steel for barrels and many match grade barrels come in carbon steel. The rust is more of a cosmetic issue; I know it's hard to swallow after dropping 1K or more dollars on a gun. You could see if Kimber would replace it but guess what; it's likely to be another carbon steel one.

I'd call it a day but if it bugs you, the best bet is to lightly bead blast it. I'd be careful sanding/polishing where the bushing locks up as if the diameter is reduced it will affect accuracy.

What oil you using?

A good oil should have prevented that. I use CLP/Breakfree or occasionally RIG grease. A heavy grease would do best to prevent this too. For greasing the barrels I use two fingers and apply a very light coat of grease to some pistol barrels.

+1

Mine rusted very easily, Kimber fixed it for free took about 4 weeks. After that, I just keep it in a very dry place and oil it like you're bathing it. BECAREFUL when handling your barrel, the oil on your fingers can cause it to rust, thats what Happened with mine.

Now you made me go look. Dang! My Kimber Stainless Steel Target pistol barrel has faint spots of rust too! Son of a biscuit eater!

Edit: this was a used gun and the spots could have well been there before I picked it up for $650.

Well as long as it looks like this and shoots like this, I'll force myself to overlook it.:becky:

i47.tinypic.com_3585urr.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_2lc7c69.jpg

Guys carbon steel is much easier to cut to match grade specs. Stainless galls and tears up tooling and is a Mofo to work with compared to carbon steel.

Last edited:
Agreed. Dan Wessons are in the same price range and are way better quality.
OR Colt or S&W or STI or SIG or SA...

Kimber's claim to fame was they were the first to add "custom" features from the factory. Not that they were of higher quality, or used better parts, or better fit and finish.
KimPro is generally reguarded as an inferior finish. A lot have extractor problems out of the box. The barrels are Carbon Steel unless it's a "custom shop" job.

The good ones are exceptions, not the rule

Back
Top Bottom