• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife carry laws

As far as I know, the GAFL or GAWCL, covers the carry of the knife, which is consider to be a concealed weapon.

Check with Dana Safety or someone who carries full auto knives, they should know.

The law mentions knives designed for defense/offense 5" or longer but it doesn't specifically allow auto knives. So in general if there is another law regarding auto knives the gwl wouldn't make any difference either way. Also, sadly, carrying knives is a much more grey area than guns. There is state preemption on gun laws so a little berg can't enact laws banning the carry of certain guns etc but the same preemption doesn't apply to knives so if you walk from kennesaw to Atlanta proper with the wrong kind of knife they are justified in taking you to jail .... State preemption bill for
Knives has passed the legislature and is sitting on the governors desk but has yet to be signed

I think you can't carry an auto knife unless you are LE or military, and on government business. You can own one but not carry it, unless you fit in one of those group. I read that somewhere, but can't remember where.

I think you can't carry an auto knife unless you are LE or military, and on government business. You can own one but not carry it, unless you fit in one of those group. I read that somewhere, but can't remember where.

I've read that as well, but not from any reliable source.

SB 432 passed this legislative session. http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20112012/SB/432

It fixes the problems with knife carry, and gives the legislature preemption on knife carry. All local laws on knife carry will be null and void with regards to someone who has a GWCL if and when Deal signs this legislation. July 1st, 2012

At present, Your GWCL doesn't cover most pocket knives carried by Georgians. Only knives over 5 inches long, which doesn't cover most folders that hundreds of thousands of men/women in Ga. carry clipped in their pockets.

I have never seen a current law in the Georgia Code saying that a auto knife was illegal.

I carry two CRKT auto assist opener folders.

Last edited:
This, I can't find a law in Ga Code, may be federal IDK
(3) 'Knife' means any cutting instrument with a blade<---this is your definition and shall include,the definition includes blades over 5 inches---> without limitation, a knife as such term is defined in Code Section 16-11-125.1.

My interpretation: I am not a lawyer, this is just what I think this new law will do if it is not vetoed by Gov. Deal before July 1st, 2012.

A.) Local government ordinances can still be made outlawing any length knife in courthouses and government buildings.

B.) Local governments can't regulate knives with blades 5 inches or less. So you'll be able to carry that 3 inch blade legally in Savannah, Augusta, Atlanta....etc and all Ga. Counties once this becomes law. A GWCL is not needed to do that. The off-limits locations to your handgun don't really apply to these knives.

C.) Local governments can't regulate knives with blades over 5 inches (but under state law you'll still need a GWCL). There is now no doubt that knives with blades over 5 inches are preempted so with a GWCL you'll be able to carry those knives in places like all over Georgia once this becomes law. The off-limits locations to your GWCL still apply to these knives.

D.) Nothing changes in the state school zone law when it comes to knives of any length because that is state law. Take heed and be careful.

5) If you are 16-11-130 exempted you can carry your handgun into courthouses and government buildings but local governments can still ban knives of any length by ordinance in courthouses and government buildings so theoretically you could be arrested for carrying a knife in a location that it is legal for you to carry a handgun in.

Back
Top Bottom