• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife Pass Around - ESEE 4

Alright, been busy as hell and havent been able to use the knife as much as I could have.

On to the mini-review.

The knife feels great in the hand. Has a great weight, not flimsy and not overly heavy. It came to me quite dull, well, except for the edge right by the finger groove.

First Blood!
i62.tinypic.com_2mye09.jpg

Cut myself within a minute of handling the knife.

When I got home, I grabbed "El Cheapo" a $20 Gerber from walmart, and put a pretty decent edge on both knives. So I was going to compare these two for this thread.

i58.tinypic.com_xeiz60.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_10s935l.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_2ul8y.jpg

i57.tinypic.com_2463led.jpg

Oddly enough, the Esee changed colors after touching the tuna. The Gerber lost some finish.

i62.tinypic.com_vxj97s.jpg

The Esee held up to the tuna can, cutting up a bunch of cardboard, and normal daily tasks quite well. The gerber dulled quite quickly. The Esee's edge is so much harder than the gerbers, I was able to cut some of the gerbers edge off. It didnt really show up in pics. Overall a great knife! I am gonna miss it.

Last edited:
Awesome. Glad to see this theme again. Subscribed.
ESEE make great knives. I have a few.

Thanks to your thread I started looking at the DPx knives and my first actually arrived in the mail today. The DPx Hest/f Mil Spec. Im already in love with this knife. The Sleipner steel is stupid sharp and the knife is supprisingly light weight to be a good size hard use folder.

Alright, been busy as hell and havent been able to use the knife as much as I could have.

On to the mini-review.

The knife feels great in the hand. Has a great weight, not flimsy and not overly heavy. It came to me quite dull, well, except for the edge right by the finger groove.

First Blood!
i62.tinypic.com_2mye09.jpg

Cut myself within a minute of handling the knife.

When I got home, I grabbed "El Cheapo" a $20 Gerber from walmart, and put a pretty decent edge on both knives. So I was going to compare these two for this thread.

i58.tinypic.com_xeiz60.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_10s935l.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_2ul8y.jpg

i57.tinypic.com_2463led.jpg

Oddly enough, the Esee changed colors after touching the tuna. The Gerber lost some finish.

i62.tinypic.com_vxj97s.jpg

The Esee held up to the tuna can, cutting up a bunch of cardboard, and normal daily tasks quite well. The gerber dulled quite quickly. The Esee's edge is so much harder than the gerbers, I was able to cut some of the gerbers edge off. It didnt really show up in pics. Overall a great knife! I am gonna miss it.

Sorry the edge was dull when you recieved it. Im pretty sure its had a rough life over the last couple of week. Im just glad to see its still in one piece.

Crazy how quick the 1095 carbon steel will patina up. I had never thought about using tuna to patina a blade but I know what my next knife treatment will have. In all fairness though i believe if I would have left the powdercoating on the blade it would have held up much better to the elements or tuna in this case.

I hope you enjoyed the knife and let me know when you have shipped it out to the next person in line.

I bought the MilSpec when they had it on sale with RVP's book.
I had mine sharpened even more by Ryan Gleason. Now it's shaves a knat's taint....if it needs it.

Im already thinking about sending mine out to 91bravo over on the ESEE forum and letting him do his magic and I havent even had the blade an hour. Not sure I could let it go for a couple days though.

Sorry the edge was dull when you recieved it. Im pretty sure its had a rough life over the last couple of week. Im just glad to see its still in one piece.

Crazy how quick the 1095 carbon steel will patina up. I had never thought about using tuna to patina a blade but I know what my next knife treatment will have. In all fairness though i believe if I would have left the powdercoating on the blade it would have held up much better to the elements or tuna in this case.

I hope you enjoyed the knife and let me know when you have shipped it out to the next person in line.
No worries on the edge! Gave me a chance to see what sharpening the steel is like. I actually enjoy sharpening knives from time to time.

I really didnt think the tuna would have done anything to it, but it gave it kind of a cool blueish color, that you can just barely see in the picture. I enjoyed the knife, its a very nice blade. Thanks for letting me play with it for a while. I will ship it out soon.

Just wanted to let op know that knife is on the way to me and I will update when it arrives. Plan to spend the weekend in the woods, so I will try to give it a good workout

Back
Top Bottom