• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

KNOCK DOWN POWA! 5.56 vs 5.45 vs 7.62X39 vs 300 BK

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
Penetration testing the 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39 and 300 Black out.

This guys camera skill pretty much suck, but the results are interesting to say the least.

I always hear about how much better the 7.62 does out of a short barrel than a 5.56 however this guys test showed that not to be the case.

[video=youtube_share;soY3gO_ZZrE]http://youtu.be/soY3gO_ZZrE[/video]

Now what's the deal with the green tip 5.56? is it really steel core or what's the thing about the penetrator? I cut a few open unsuccessfully to see what was in them and still have no idea.

"M855 Cartridge, 5.56mm, BALL. Green bullet tip. For use against personnel and light armored targets.

Variously referred to as: 5.56 x 45mm, 5.56 Penetrator."

Here is the follow up video where they test the 300 BK with a 14.5 inch barrel against the 7.62x39. This time they used FMJ in the 300 Blackout and it penetrated much better (duh) even through the SBR. The 7.62 was able to penetrate out of the 11 inch barrel whereas it could not out of the 7.5 inch barrel. FMJ 300 Blackout was able to penetrate out of the SBR as well.

I find it interesting that 5.56 was the only round able to penetrate out of a barrel less than 10 inches.

[video=youtube_share;shAspKP5vn8]http://youtu.be/shAspKP5vn8[/video]

This was really what settled it for me, a guy in the sandbox wrote this on NFAtalk.org when discussing the 300blk debate.

There's a lot of technical discussion going on here about velocity and case thickness and a whole bunch of **** that means a whole lot to people like RSilvers and probably means a whole lot to hunters and target shooters and competitors too. I won't interject anything on that because 1: I'm underqualified and 2: I'm not in any of those categories. As Doc so eloquently put it earlier in the thread, I'm talking about killing ****.

Now that being said, I have two main concerns regarding caliber choice: How many of them can I have, and how many of them can I put in the badguys quickly and accurately? Have entails availability, cost, weight, magazine capacity. All those interests are best served by a cartridge that is pervasive and common, not by something new. I don't bash new stuff because it's new, but when it comes to caliber choices I wait until it's literally everywhere, i.e. warehouses in Turkey packed wall to wall with the **** from the last great war. Then I'll pick the one that best fulfills requirement

2. That entails felt recoil and bullet drop. I don't care if it doesn't have a lot of "knock down power" because I intend to keep shooting the threat over and over again until I decide it's time to stop. (See requirement #1.) All I want is to be able to double tap, triple tap, dodectuple tap, whatever and make sure they're all gonna go in roughly the same place. If I ever build myself a sniper rifle I'll start entertaining other considerations, but for the time being all the carbines/battle rifles/entry guns I'll ever want are available in 5.56x45, 7.62x39 or 7.62x51. Mostly just 5.56. Is it the best cartridge ever? Not by a long shot. It is however the best choice out of a very small selection of cartridges I consider realistic. I'm never gonna deploy with a .338 Spectre and I'm never gonna fight off rioters/Chinese invaders with a .243 Winchester and I'm never going to ***** and moan about not being able to stop a threat with only one shot because the only way and I mean the only way I will ever shoot a threat just once is if I am completely unable to continue firing due to weapons malfunctions, lack of ammo or death. Considering otherwise is asinine, and that fact invalidates any talk of terminal ballistics. It also negates the usefulness of any cartridge that isn't available by a quality manufacturer in gross quantities consistently and cheaply. If .300BLK shows up in boxes of 100 at my local Walmart for $49.97 I'll look into it.

Eloquently written by Fallschirmjaager on NFAtalk.org

The guy in the video discovered hollow points don't penetrate like FMJs and barrel length affects ballistic performance. Tune in next week for "The sky is blue."

Back
Top Bottom