• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Late food plot suggestions

ATHENS SEED, has a blend of food plot mix we have used for over 15 years, and it works great, you can add sugar beets, and deer greens, after it gets up about 2 weeks later put some after a rain add, 19-19-19, on the plots and watch the progress go to town.

Good luck,

just a suggestion.....................

I plant the first weekend of Sept, add 10-10-10 and lime till in with pto tiller. I have two firebreaks that run off the main food plat. I plant Southern Sweet Spot on those lanes, with great success. The main food plot is wheat, oats, Lab Lab, clover, Rape, purple top turnips, and Trophy Radishes. The Greens really don't work unless you get a good freeze, then the starches turn to sugars..Last two year I put in the plots had hard times, not with the plots they did great..Two years ago, One of my best friends contracted cancer and died..I had just gone to camp the day before opening of Rifle season..Left to go support him and the family..Last year went into the hospital twice, 3 surgeries over the course of 5 months..I let other hunters hunt my area, 5 each year were taken...Lord willing It will be my turn this year..Good luck to all this season.

All of the suggestions and points made above are good advice. About the only thing that can be detrimental to your food plot at this time of year is lack of rain and lack of nutrients with rain being the most important so go do a rain dance or something lol.

Here are my food plots from 2014. The pics below were taken in early October. I planted on Labor Day weekend last year and this year will be no different.

047.jpg
048.jpg
050.jpg

^^^Bingo...doesn't matter what you plant if the ground is dry, a good slow rain is key. I don't have a set weekend that I plant, just watch the forecast and plant when the chance of rain is greatest.

yeah, we've typically planted according to rain from anywhere in mid-late august to early sept for the lat 3 years and have had great success by gun season. we usually plow and harrow first and then check the forecast and when the rain is moving in we will get the seen in the ground. we use a blend of oats/rape/peas/turnups/radish with 15-15-15-15 fertilizer and lime. like others have said the key factor is the rain, but you should still be in good shape.

Potatoes do very well in the cooler climate, or at least they have for me. Cant get them to grow in the summer, but the russets grow like wildfire in the fall\winter

Yup Yup. Down here you can grow potatoes all the way into Dec. or Jan. if you are lucky. Grow them in a barrel and when the first hard freeze kills the tops, dump out out the barrel and collect the 'taters.

Back
Top Bottom