Leaking sunroof, need shop recommendation

DJCantonGA

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
I have an '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 in great condition. I recently noticed a wet passenger side carpet/floorboard area. Suspected the A/C drain, but it works fine.

Noticed the passenger side headliner area was wet, near the factory sunroof. Put the hose on the roof, and it is leaking pretty good from the sunroof.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on an honest, reputable shop around the Canton and surrounding area? Called a dealership and the guy sounded like he didn't have anyone who could handle it.

Dealer dosent want to mess with it because it is a factory item and the fact is sunroofs leak. They leak all the time. You fix one leak and another pops up. He is afraid you are going to try and stick it on them if they fix the leak and it leaks again in another 6 months.

Sorry i really dont have a recommendation on your side of town for anyone....but any good RV shop, or someone that installs aftermarket type goods will take care of it.

Most factory sunroofs today do not seal, they may let a little water run but they have drains to get rid of the water. Most likely the drain(s) are clogged. I would use a vacuum cleaner on them and pour water in them to make sure they are clear. I would not use a pressure hose for fear I would detach one inside the body.

What he said ^. Blow it out really well all around the open areas with compressed air. Vacuum anything that doesn’t come out. There’s a company that specializes in this but I forget their name. They used to come out to Cherokee Chrysler(shotenkirk now) in canton and fix leaking jeeps all the time.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll check with the canton dealership and ask if they still do that. The front drains seem fine, but I can't seem to get to the rears.

Btw, Sewell Automotive is my regular shop. Thomas is a top notch mechanic and owner, and above all, honest. If you're in the Canton area check him out.

Put a wrap on top of the car and bam problem solved. I plan to do this with my wife's g37 if hers starts leaking again.

silly cone it shut

Haha, right now it's taped so it won't leak. I'm crazy busy for at least 2 weeks and can't mess with it, so that was my option.

I really don't use it that often, and if the repair quote is stupid it will be getting sealed and I'll pull the fuse.

I have owned at least a dozen vehicles with a sunroof, and this is the first one to leak.

Back
Top Bottom