• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

lee classic vs. lee deluxe

Eglock86

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
I'm fixing to buy my first press and was wondering what are the differences in the turret classic and turret deluxe. They are both offered in kits and I am going to buy one of the two. What makes the deluxe cheaper?

I believe someone mentioned they were made of different material just recently.
i have the 4 turret original one and have made at least 10,000 rounds with it
I'm very happy with it.

Because of the age, I'd guess mine is the classic.

The Classic should be a steel framed press, the deluxe is a aluminum framed press, the working/structural parts are steel however.
you simply get a lighter press with the deluxe.
there are a few very minor differences other than this.
You aren't likely to wear either out unless you hit 50,000 plus rounds, and if you do then Lee will sell you another new press for half price.
you can't beat the quality, warranty and price on Lee equipment.

I recently bought the Lee classic turret kit. Love the press! Everything with the kit is pretty good too. Only thing I have upgraded so far are the scales. I Hated the Lee beam scale. Sold it and bought a RCBS 505

I will also testify that the Deluxe is "good enough" especially if you are loading handgun rounds. I second the notion to skip the scale.

Edited to add:

If you are thinking about the automatic powder measure, spring for the "Pro" model. It is worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
I've had a Lee Turret for 20yrs.....loaded idk how many tens of thousands of rounds with it...love it. I upgraded to the 4 hole turret about 2 years ago and use a factory crimp die for pistol rounds. That is the majority of my loading anyway. (I have some single stage presses for rifle.)
The auto disk powder thrower works pretty good too, if you get the adjustable measure throw piece and get rid of the disks. There are several different upgrades to some of them but I'm happy with the same kit I've had all along. Just my .02 :-)

Lee screwed up a bit when they named the newer, "Classic Cast Turret." It causes a lot of confusion because "classic" implies older model, when in fact, it's their latest and greatest turret press.

Here's the Classic Cast turret press (the newer of the two models that get confused):

[Broken External Image]:

Pros: Cast iron base, all steel linkage, primer disposal through the ram, works with the Safety Prime mechanism, quickly converts between auto-index and single stage press, caliber changes are very fast.

The Lee Turret Press is this one (the older of the two models that get confused):

media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_282_282576.jpg

The only advantage this press has is it's available as a three or four hole turret. In limited cases, the three hole press makes finished ammo faster, as long as you don't need four stations. It's weaknesses are the base and linkage, which are cast pot metal, and a less handy and less reliable primer disposal system. It also doesn't work with the Safety Prime system, which is a nice add on for speeding up pistol ammo production. On the very newest models of this press, I believe they may switched to a steel handle and linkage.

Bottom line, the Classic Cast is a MUCH better tool, at a very modest $38 more MSRP. That doesn't mean you can't make good ammo with the original Lee turret press. But my opinion is, the newer version is built in such a way as to make it a lifetime tool. If you were only ever going to have one press, without knowing what kind of ammo you'll be making in the future, you could do a lot worse than to have the Lee Classic Cast Turret press..

Back
Top Bottom