• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

lee classic vs. lee deluxe

I've had a Lee Turret for 20yrs.....loaded idk how many tens of thousands of rounds with it...love it. I upgraded to the 4 hole turret about 2 years ago and use a factory crimp die for pistol rounds. That is the majority of my loading anyway. (I have some single stage presses for rifle.)
The auto disk powder thrower works pretty good too, if you get the adjustable measure throw piece and get rid of the disks. There are several different upgrades to some of them but I'm happy with the same kit I've had all along. Just my .02 :-)
Hey sixgun, out of curiousity, are you able to load your own and have the projectile come smooth with the brass with no protrusion at all like the store bought ammo? I am not able to do it, and not sure if it is because I have just begun reloading and not good enough yet, or if it is impossible to get that kind of quality.

I'm not sure what you're asking Forrest and I've been reloading quite a few different calibers for years.
My reloads look like factory ammo....

Maybe a picture would help me.

The only thing I'm thinking is you're flaring the case mouth and you don't have the crimp die set correctly.
It sounds like it's too loose.
Now you really don't need a true crimp on most pistol ammo, not to where you can see it on the brass, but it needs to be set to tighten the brass at the top.

You do need a true crimp for rifle ammo, especially if it's going into a tubular magazine where each round is pushing against the other. Like on a .30-30, you need a real good crimp then.

PM me if you wish.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're asking Forrest and I've been reloading quite a few different calibers for years.
My reloads look like factory ammo....

Maybe a picture would help me.

The only thing I'm thinking is you're flaring the case mouth and you don't have the crimp die set correctly.
It sounds like it's too loose.
Now you really don't need a true crimp on most pistol ammo, not to where you can see it on the brass, but it needs to be set to tighten the brass at the top.

You do need a true crimp for rifle ammo, especially if it's going into a tubular magazine where each round is pushing against the other. Like on a .30-30, you need a real good crimp then.

PM me if you wish.
Thanks BikerBill, it is the flare that I am referring to, I apologize for not being specific and unclear in my thoughts. I am reloading .45 .40 and 9mm. I do have a crimper on my lee classic, but can't seem to get the tight fit that I see on the factory ammo that I purchase. they work well, and are seated correctly, but I guess I need to fine tune the crimp so that it is crimping a fraction higher on the brass casing. Ill try to get a photo of some I have reloaded, but it does me good knowing that it's a simple fact of operator error. glad to hear that you and others can make them exactly like the manufacturer does. guess it will just take time, I am very new to it so i am sure over time it will get better. Thanks again for responding!

Thanks BikerBill, it is the flare that I am referring to, I apologize for not being specific and unclear in my thoughts. I am reloading .45 .40 and 9mm. I do have a crimper on my lee classic, but can't seem to get the tight fit that I see on the factory ammo that I purchase. they work well, and are seated correctly, but I guess I need to fine tune the crimp so that it is crimping a fraction higher on the brass casing. Ill try to get a photo of some I have reloaded, but it does me good knowing that it's a simple fact of operator error. glad to hear that you and others can make them exactly like the manufacturer does. guess it will just take time, I am very new to it so i am sure over time it will get better. Thanks again for responding!

My pleasure bud,

Check the die that flares also. You don't want it to flare the case mouth any more than you need it to, to get a bullet in there. Brass get's weary (for lack of a better word), don't stretch it or squash it anymore than you must. You'll be able to reload the brass more times by having a gentle touch.

I should have gotten a turret press instead of a single press.. but alas, I was confused when I got it and thought the turret presses were progressive and thought that was bad for a newbie.. Now I build so many rounds I'm thinking I'd really like to get a progressive press, but even a nice turret press would be an upgrade :lol:

Great info here thanks for all the responses guys it helps alot ....what else can I buy that doesn't come w the kit that would make life easier (or maybe something I have to have that doesn't come w it)

The tumbler is to clean your dirty brass. You'll also need a set of calipers to measure your bullet lengths. (I've been very happy with my cheap Harbor Freight digital calipers and my Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler, for that matter.)

Personally, I would get a reloading manual before anything else and read through it if you haven't already.

I should have gotten a turret press instead of a single press.. but alas, I was confused when I got it and thought the turret presses were progressive and thought that was bad for a newbie.. Now I build so many rounds I'm thinking I'd really like to get a progressive press, but even a nice turret press would be an upgrade :lol:

Love my turret and have no plans of ever changing. I just don't see the need.
It would be an upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom