• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

lee classic vs. lee deluxe

I know this guy's, I was kidding. I already got my tumbler and a few other thngs.

It's clear you were kidding, but we all need to be really careful about reloading related humor. These posts get cataloged by search engines. Some noob, five years from now, might see your post out of context, without emoticons, etc., jump to an ill-founded conclusion, do something really stupid and hurt himself.

I can get about 225 rounds per hour out of my turret press(9mm). Plenty fast for me. And that's checking every 10 rounds for powder throw and OAL

I can get about 225 rounds per hour out of my turret press(9mm). Plenty fast for me. And that's checking every 10 rounds for powder throw and OAL

Damn, that'd be nice. I get about 100 rounds an hour checking every 5 with the lee perfect measure. I finally found a good digital scale at a reasonable price so I can measure every throw and do it faster than I was doing once in 5

+1 for the Classic. I've stuffed several 1000 rounds of 38/357 with mine...never had a single problem with it. Just make sure to get carbide dies and it will run virtually forever.

My pleasure bud,

Check the die that flares also. You don't want it to flare the case mouth any more than you need it to, to get a bullet in there. Brass get's weary (for lack of a better word), don't stretch it or squash it anymore than you must. You'll be able to reload the brass more times by having a gentle touch.

Thats what I would guess, you (the OP) are simply over flaring your cases.
and then not applying enough crimp to remove all the flare.
it also shortens your case life quite a bit over working the brass a lot.
set your flare to where it just enlarges the opening enough that the projectile just begins to enter the case, with lead or plated you don't want to shave any of the projectile off as it enters the case, jacketed is a lot easier to seat.
then adjust your seating die and crimp to the correct amount.
actually the cartridges that you mention should have very little if any crimp applied as they all head space on the front of the case. generally MOST resizing dies give you about a .001 smaller case opening, than the projectile diameter, this allows the projectile to firmly contact the case mouth.
that's why a slight case flare is needed and then needs to be removed.
Now in heavy recoiling revolvers/rifles this is different than the semi auto calibers that you speak about, read your die instructions as to setting the dies correctly, and remember that different case lengths will effect the die and how they work.
hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom