• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Legal to shoot dogs chasing deer on your hinting property?

Dog carry rabies and they will also rip a child to shreds if running in packs.
If I shoot a dog on my hunting property I feel I am saving someone's life.
They should be leashed and not running freely.
Chasing deer on our personal hunting property?... Oh hell no..... They die.....collar or not.
After all they all surrounded me, showed their teeth and pounced.

I'm a dog lover but I'm also a people lover and sometimes they need shot too..... Just ask any cop.

Last edited:
Been a loooooooooooooooong time since I've seen a good dog shooting thread. ;)

§ 27-3-49. Killing of dogs running deer

(a) It shall be the duty of every conservation ranger to kill any dog pursuing or killing any deer in any locality other than that prescribed by law or rules and regulations permitting such hunting, and no action for damages shall be maintained against the person for such killing.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person other than a conservation ranger, sheriff, or deputy sheriff to kill a dog wearing a collar, which dog is or has been pursuing or killing a deer.

(c) It shall not be unlawful for any person to kill a dog which does not have a collar and which is pursuing or killing deer in any locality other than that prescribed by law or rules and regulations permitting such hunting, and no action for damages shall be maintained against the person for such killing.

Ok, I will say I'm sorry in the beginning...but, I just gotta be that guy...so, what are you "hinting" about on your "hinting property"??? Sorry...flame suit on and ready

If these coydogs are taken, put them in 55 gallon trash bags and put them into a dumpster....

Do not bury them on your lease under any situation what so ever.............

only a suggestion........

I've come across some wild dogs in south Georgia a couple of times. I dealt with one about 10 years ago when I was deer hunting and walking down an old logging road. I was probably 3 miles back on the property and a big yellow dog stepped out in the road and immediately started growling at me, teeth bared, hair standing up. He was a mean one. Notice I say "was"...I saw another one 2 years ago that turned and ran across full speed across a field as soon as it saw me and it didn't slow down. I was in my truck so I wasn't prepared to make a shot at a running dog. I regretted it too. Wild dogs are worse than coyotes.

I don't want to shoot someone's pet, but if you see a sure enough wild dog you need to deal with it any way you can.

I was out cycling one time in the mountains of NC. I looked across the field, and there was this pack of wild dogs chasing a deer. I thought to myself, they'll never catch that deer. And the dogs must've agreed because when they caught sight of me, they immediately changed course, and they were on me in less than a minute. That was a tense few minutes until I got to a stick at the side of the road... :D Every since I've always carried while cycling.

But most of the time these days, when I see dog(s) chasing deer, they are collared. But if they are wild and un-collared, then take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom