• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal to shoot dogs chasing deer on your hinting property?

The property is privately owned by family and not a lease.

I used to shoot packs of wild dogs in Pennsylvania all the time with an AK.
They introduced yotes too, big ones that would run in packs on our property to thin the deer herd.
I peppered every one of them.
Dogs naturally will chase deer and when they pack it's game on.
We had several human attacks up there from pack dogs and killed them on sight.... Collar or not.

I was out cycling one time in the mountains of NC. I looked across the field, and there was this pack of wild dogs chasing a deer. I thought to myself, they'll never catch that deer. And the dogs must've agreed because when they caught sight of me, they immediately changed course, and they were on me in less than a minute. That was a tense few minutes until I got to a stick at the side of the road... :D Every since I've always carried while cycling.

But most of the time these days, when I see dog(s) chasing deer, they are collared. But if they are wild and un-collared, then take care of them.

Dude I know the feeling.
Ever since those dog and yote packs in Pa got so prevalent I carry all the time even in my back yard.
Now I even carry in my house due to other wild packs of carbon based organisms running around.

I'm glad GA has a law, in title 27 (game and fish) that allows for shooting non-collared dogs that are running deer without being used for that purpose for legal hunting with the dogs by some other hunter. Thanks to the poster in post #14 above who cited that law.

I'll add that while I've never shot a dog, on other lands where I have hunted, the neighbors on both sides have had multiple dogs killed by hunters over the years, because those half-assed dog owners would let their dogs run wild all day every day, and the dogs would chase every animal in the woods. For up to a mile from their own home. They'd sometimes hook up with other semi-domesticated dogs and chase deer as a pack. Some of these dogs were not feral-- they were the neighbor's pets. Still, they'd keep ending up shot dead.

One ended up dead on the side of the road. I wonder if it were really hit by a car, or shot, and then put on the road and run over a few times to disguise the bullet wound? Not like anybody is going to do an autopsy on what looks like roadkill.

Dude I know the feeling.
Ever since those dog and yote packs in Pa got so prevalent I carry all the time even in my back yard.
Now I even carry in my house due to other wild packs of carbon based organisms running around.

Screw carrying in the yard! I actually have dedicated yard guns. ;)

Of course I live in the woods though, but if I ever forget to have one on me, another is not too far away...

Back
Top Bottom