• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality: Shockwave- 18 year old

Mossberg shockwave, what is it's official ATF designation?

• Pistol...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is the Mossberg shockwave a pistol, shotgun or OTHER and what's it's legality for an 18 year old to own/have in their vehicle for protection?
That's a very good question that I never would have thought about. As for the legality I would say that it all depends on the cop pulling the 18 year old over. And remember most cops ain't "Gun People" so they will just see an SBS in the car and it will escalate from there. MAYBE not as bad now as when the Shockwave was new to the market. But I definitely would expect some ignorance on the part of the average cop on the scene.( Even though you can easily show them one on the Academy Sports site and several others)
Now as for being a good personal protection choice I would have to say it is not a good choice. There are a few YouTube videos that support my opinion. I inherited my Shockwave and don't get me wrong I really dig it. But that's mostly for the looks of it. Actually shooting is sucks ass. I'm NOT the least bit recoil sensitive but the Shockwave 12 is a bitch. Even with birdshot I could barely get it on target. I know at face to face distance that's not a real issue but if they needed that second shot it could be really iffy. So if you really want to go with the Shockwave then by all means give the 20 gauge model some consideration.

A 12 gauge firearm.
Yeah and remember that most any change you make to the Shockwave creates a potential legal problem. It's fine for just looking badass and giving the middle finger to the ATF. But it's not all that practical. Maybe if you can use the mini shells it could work. All that being said I still dig looking at mine in the cabinet with the other guns.

Back
Top Bottom