• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lesson learned today.

Tusker6N

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I've reloaded thousands of rounds over the years with a minor issue here and there. Today I had one of those never again moments.

I changed 45 rounds to a Nosler 185gr hollow point and ran them all through the tumbler when complete. Mainly to polish them up and get anything off of them.

Get to the range and was having FTF about ever other round after no issues with the first mag through all my 45 pistols.

Scratching my head...I noticed that the walnut media had embedded itself in the nose of the rounds. It was coming loose during firing and mucking up the action.

I tied picking it out with no luck. When I got home, I took a really small drill bit and twisted it out of the remaining 350ish rounds. (Very time consuming)

Have only tried ancient bullets through a tumbler and always filled the cavity and threw them out..not a wise process for the actual bullets as you are changing more than the cavity. You are also taking down outside diameter as well. Never tumble loaded rounds.

I quit dry tumbling.....the mess, toxic dust and media getting stuck in case/primer pockets... and the fine walnut collecting in the shell holders causing cases to be off center.......drop the dime and wet tumble......IMO!

He was tumbling "bullets" 185 grain .45's. I would not wet tumble either.

I sonic clean everything before I start, then dry tumble to clean off any case lube. I won't be doing that anymore for hollow points, never had an issue with anything else.

I always throw loaded rounds in my tumbler to final clean them. You could polish them for months and not take any material off. That's craziness.
Never done any hollow point though. That sucks.
I've never got the fact people say dry tumbling is dusty and toxic. I've never had a single problem with dust or had the thought, "dang that's dirty and dusty"

Back
Top Bottom