• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Let me give you a hypothetical home defense scenario

Poboy home defense option

• Ruger SR-22

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • ATI Nomad

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Hell, just run at 'em screaming and throwing last night's taco dinner leftovers

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
Just after 2:00 AM, the sound of glass breaking wakes you up from a sound sleep.

Since you don't have money for a big gun vault filled with guns, you only have two choices for home defense:
  1. A Ruger SR-22 (a .22 semi-auto pistol with a 10 round clip ;)), or...
  2. An ATI Nomad (a 12 gauge single-shot break open shotgun)
Which would you rather grab and why?

Put another way, would you rather have 1 powerful round, or 10 weaker rounds with which to defend home & hearth?
Multiple Rounds for me.

The noise of the first round will inhibit the bad guys fight or flight. He is going to make a stand or flee after the first "BANG". My reading would tell me that these guys normally choose to flee.

So I know this sounds ridiculous but in my home sweeping plan I know which walls I can shoot through and to what effect. The .22 would discount this feature of my plan.
But one round of ANYTHING just doesn't give me peace. Surviving a .22 still gets you to a hospital; gets you caught by police; which may be better than disemboweling the guy with a well placed buckshot/slug.

I GUESS...if you got reeeeeeal tactical with loading the 12 it may be acceptable for some.

Multiple Rounds for me.

The noise of the first round will inhibit the bad guys fight or flight. He is going to make a stand or flee after the first "BANG". My reading would tell me that these guys normally choose to flee.

So I know this sounds ridiculous but in my home sweeping plan I know which walls I can shoot through and to what effect. The .22 would discount this feature of my plan.
But one round of ANYTHING just doesn't give me peace. Surviving a .22 still gets you to a hospital; gets you caught by police; which may be better than disemboweling the guy with a well placed buckshot/slug.

I GUESS...if you got reeeeeeal tactical with loading the 12 it may be acceptable for some.
If I decide I must use deadly force then I believe it should be deadly. I’d be concerned a bad guy I shot who survived would be pissed and come back with a better/different revenge plan

For your scenario I'd go with the Ruger. In reality for house clearing which I've sadly had to do several times I'll sometimes grab a full size 9mm or 45 or just as often my trusty old Cold Steel Tanto.

Shotgun. Put a sleeve on the buttstock with extra shells. OO Reduced recoil. Practice reloading. What barrel length is it?
Unless it’s a home invasion because your rich or a drug dealer a “run of the mill” burglar will flee. Have a bright flashlight. Practice holding light with support hand on the forend. Target ID is very important. If they opt to run let them. A lot of grief if you have to use deadly force. Don’t shoot someone over stuff.

Clearing a house is much trickier with a longarm than a handgun. I'd go with the pistol.
You don’t have to go hostage rescue speed. Go really slow with bright light. Slowly slice the pie- use angles. You can clear most of a room without entering it. If you do have to shoot the 22 lr will just piss off a determined aggressor.

Back
Top Bottom