• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

The fact that I used the word retreat does not literally mean run when you can't.
If I were backed into a position between and open door and the car body,obviously, I couldn't run but I can retreat verbally i.e. " Guys,you,ve made a mistake,I just came out of the store but if it makes you feel better I'll apologize anyway.I don't want any trouble."At the same time , I would be watching closely that neither got close enough to kick the door into me and trap me in there.
Yes, they were looking for a victim..and this one luckily worked out because you probably just encounterd a couple of amateur street punks.
If it had been a seasoned criminal or a trained individual, I could see a real possibility of a very different ending.
At that close range, were I intent on accosting you, when you raised your shirt and I saw the weapon, I would have immediately charged into you before you could have gotten it out of the holster and had just a good a chance of getting it in my hand as you would have of getting it in yours.
It is also possible, though somewhat less likely that seeing the gun that close , an amateur may have panicked and charged you as well.
Believe me, in either case, you don't want to be in a struggle for possession of the firearm.
Before I get hit here with 50 ...I would's from the baddest in the valley..Let me just say my responses are based on over 30 years as a LEO and over 20 of that as a certified police instrutor in just about any facet of the job including firearms training,not from what I just think or what my buddies and I decided over a couple beers or what I read in a Captain Marvel Comic Book.
As far as open carry..if that's what you like, it's legal fine..just a word to the wise.
I am a trained individual as are many pro bad guys..yep, they train and work out hyertheticals and practice with their weapons just like you do.
If a pro has a plan and commits to it,lets say rob the bank, he is not going to walk in the door with his weapon out, he will walk in like a customer and look it over and if he sees you carrying, he's just as likely to walk right up behind you and if you're lucky just disarm you so he has two weapons or if your're not lucky and he's "cranked up" just kill you before you ever know whats going on.
I carry all the time and I see the open carrys all the time , yes,in Kroger and Walmart..I do not feel threatened by it (other than you don't know how proficient the carrier is) it doesn't bother me, the open carrier with good common sense is very unlikely to be a threat to an ordinary citizen. Any time I have dropped an opinon on any topic in these forums, I'm just trying to get you to take things in perspective and think.
If some of the posters on ODT really believe some of the things they post(not necessarily in this thread) and would actually act the way they claim, they need to post their preferred brands of cigarettes to be mailed to them or their preferred kinds of flowers for the ceremony because it is just a matter of time and I'm not posting sarcasm..I'm serious.
And to those who like to post the I'll just kill 'em kinds of statements..if you ever become involved in a shooting situation and the prosecutor learns that you post on firearms related forums ,they'll pull your posts and use your own words against you to show "a state of mind for the propensity to commit an illegal act of violence", "a pattern of conduct of making statements that could be construed as threats or manifestations of intent to seek an opportunity to use a firearm against another". Try I was just posting sarcasm as a legal defense and see how well that dog hunts.
I'm not going to enter a debate about the 1stAmend.,I don't have to, I've defended it all my life ..but with it comes responsibility and if you make irresponsibile statements, they can and will be used against you, I've seen it done many times and noI didn't write the cases down just like you don't write down every aspect of your occupation.
When you get on a forum and talk about what a bada**, you are the only person you are impressing or harming is yourself.
Nothing you put in writing, especially on a computer is private.
I'm not going to enter pointless debates about what cops or prosecutors should do vs what they actually do.
I know what they do,I know why they do it and I know how they do it, most are great well intentioned people, some aren't fit to hold the office but that is true with any occupation in the land.
When you carry and use a firearm you aren't playing an xbox game, it can't be reset or started over, once that trigger is pulled, there's no turning back.

I see nothing wrong with letting your adversary know you have means to protect yourself and are willing to do what it takes. The USA government displays its weapons to the world for such reason as does Russia, Japan, England and many others. Practice drawing in front of a mirror I'm not to sure about that method of training vs. real life situations and it reminds me of Barney Fife drawing to a mirror when people speak of doing such.

The fact that I used the word retreat does not literally mean run when you can't.
If I were backed into a position between and open door and the car body,obviously, I couldn't run but I can retreat verbally i.e. " Guys,you,ve made a mistake,I just came out of the store but if it makes you feel better I'll apologize anyway.I don't want any trouble."At the same time , I would be watching closely that neither got close enough to kick the door into me and trap me in there.
Yes, they were looking for a victim..and this one luckily worked out because you probably just encounterd a couple of amateur street punks.
If it had been a seasoned criminal or a trained individual, I could see a real possibility of a very different ending.
At that close range, were I intent on accosting you, when you raised your shirt and I saw the weapon, I would have immediately charged into you before you could have gotten it out of the holster and had just a good a chance of getting it in my hand as you would have of getting it in yours.
It is also possible, though somewhat less likely that seeing the gun that close , an amateur may have panicked and charged you as well.
Believe me, in either case, you don't want to be in a struggle for possession of the firearm.
Before I get hit here with 50 ...I would's from the baddest in the valley..Let me just say my responses are based on over 30 years as a LEO and over 20 of that as a certified police instrutor in just about any facet of the job including firearms training,not from what I just think or what my buddies and I decided over a couple beers or what I read in a Captain Marvel Comic Book.
As far as open carry..if that's what you like, it's legal fine..just a word to the wise.
I am a trained individual as are many pro bad guys..yep, they train and work out hyertheticals and practice with their weapons just like you do.
If a pro has a plan and commits to it,lets say rob the bank, he is not going to walk in the door with his weapon out, he will walk in like a customer and look it over and if he sees you carrying, he's just as likely to walk right up behind you and if you're lucky just disarm you so he has two weapons or if your're not lucky and he's "cranked up" just kill you before you ever know whats going on.
I carry all the time and I see the open carrys all the time , yes,in Kroger and Walmart..I do not feel threatened by it (other than you don't know how proficient the carrier is) it doesn't bother me, the open carrier with good common sense is very unlikely to be a threat to an ordinary citizen. Any time I have dropped an opinon on any topic in these forums, I'm just trying to get you to take things in perspective and think.
If some of the posters on ODT really believe some of the things they post(not necessarily in this thread) and would actually act the way they claim, they need to post their preferred brands of cigarettes to be mailed to them or their preferred kinds of flowers for the ceremony because it is just a matter of time and I'm not posting sarcasm..I'm serious.
And to those who like to post the I'll just kill 'em kinds of statements..if you ever become involved in a shooting situation and the prosecutor learns that you post on firearms related forums ,they'll pull your posts and use your own words against you to show "a state of mind for the propensity to commit an illegal act of violence", "a pattern of conduct of making statements that could be construed as threats or manifestations of intent to seek an opportunity to use a firearm against another". Try I was just posting sarcasm as a legal defense and see how well that dog hunts.
I'm not going to enter a debate about the 1stAmend.,I don't have to, I've defended it all my life ..but with it comes responsibility and if you make irresponsibile statements, they can and will be used against you, I've seen it done many times and noI didn't write the cases down just like you don't write down every aspect of your occupation.
When you get on a forum and talk about what a bada**, you are the only person you are impressing or harming is yourself.
Nothing you put in writing, especially on a computer is private.
I'm not going to enter pointless debates about what cops or prosecutors should do vs what they actually do.
I know what they do,I know why they do it and I know how they do it, most are great well intentioned people, some aren't fit to hold the office but that is true with any occupation in the land.
When you carry and use a firearm you aren't playing an xbox game, it can't be reset or started over, once that trigger is pulled, there's no turning back.

Thank God another sensible experienced poster who knows what he's talking about... there's hope for this forum yet.

More specifically...how else would one train this type of drill and actually see what he/she is doing at the same time?

With an experienced Qualified, Certified Instructor who can instruct you in how to build your fundamental skills using proven efficient techniques... and I don't just mean my school. There are plenty of other good ones out there.

Too many people spend all their time looking at their "tools" when they should be learning how to get the job done.
We're covered up with people in our school, including men that have never even shot a gun, who will be more mentally as well as physically trained to use the gun (if they have no other choice) than many that are self-taught who have not invested the time & money to seek out professional help somewhere.

It's only you & your families live's at stake... if you carry a gun for self-defense, GO SOMEWHERE & get some instruction from an expert. No man is born with the skills to use a firearm... you have to be taught like any other skill.
Too many people are too proud to admit that they don't already know everything about guns & tactics.
The best instructors I know are constantly seeking out more training to keep learning & getting better.
If one day you have to use a gun for real, that is no time to "wing" it.
You will have one chance & probably very little time to get it right unless you're real lucky.
And if you're not lucky or don't REALLY know & understand the Use of Deadly Force & Carry laws, at minimum you may go to jail but at worst you or your family could be killed.

Back
Top Bottom