• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Liability question

Looking at the property owner map for my county, the area in question is not parceled. It shows as part of the road. I attached a pic with the names erased to protect the innocent. Red arrow point to the “common area” and the red Line is the sidewalk common area.

That looks more like the right-of-way/utility easement to the house on the corner, lol. That's pretty much the person on the corner's responsibility to maintain it.

How long have they been getting you to cut "their" grass? :pound:

That looks more like the right-of-way/utility easement to the house on the corner, lol. That's pretty much the person on the corner's responsibility to maintain it.

How long have they been getting you to cut "their" grass?
I agree. That looks to me like every other corner house everywhere. Utility easement/right of way typically runs 10-20 feet (I forget) from the curb, & it’s that homeowner’s responsibility to maintain it.

I have not cut anything yet. The builder had been paying someone to cut it until the end of June. He said he was done with it at that point since the last house sold 3 months ago.

There's no additional parcel there, tell the person on the corner to get bent and cut their own grass.

If they don't maintain it, you can call county code enforcement and they can get a taste of the HOA experience without involving the neighbors.

Doesn’t really pertain to fiearms, but have a question on liability. I have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. Current neighborhood has several owners wanting to start one to cover Maintenance and liability insurance for the common areas. We have no pool or facilities. The common area includes a small patch grass by the entrance by the neighborhood sign and 200 or so feet of sidewalk from the entrance to the first house.

My question. If someone gets hurt on the common area (say mowing the grass) as it stands with no HOA and no policy on that common area, what is the liability to the 40 or so homes in the neighborhood? I can’t imagine someone would sue 40 home owners. I have lived in three neighborhoods now and none had an HOA or any type of coverage to the enterance. In my last neighborhood, we all took turns mowing the grass and had a voluntary work day at the entrance. The neighbors in favor of the HOA are citing this as a major concern and reasoning to start the HOA. Until now I have never thought of this but wondered if there was anything to it?
Keep HOA’s OUT of your life.

I moved out of eagle watch for the same reason- HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU WANT RUNNING YOUR LIFE OTHER THAN THE US GOVT??????

**** HOAS- CITY “COUNCIL” AND EVERY OTHER MOTHER ****ER OUT THERE TRYING TO DICTATE MY LIFE!!!!!

The county owns and is responsible for anything inside the right of way. Technically you don’t have to mow the grass inside the right of way, people do it because it’s in front of their houses and they want to keep the appearance up.

Easements are different as they just grant permission for someone to access your property. The right of way is deeded property to the counties or State. People think that their property goes to the edge of the road, but that isn’t the case, ever. Right of ways vary depending on the roads in question.

Doesn’t really pertain to fiearms, but have a question on liability. I have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. Current neighborhood has several owners wanting to start one to cover Maintenance and liability insurance for the common areas. We have no pool or facilities. The common area includes a small patch grass by the entrance by the neighborhood sign and 200 or so feet of sidewalk from the entrance to the first house.

My question. If someone gets hurt on the common area (say mowing the grass) as it stands with no HOA and no policy on that common area, what is the liability to the 40 or so homes in the neighborhood? I can’t imagine someone would sue 40 home owners. I have lived in three neighborhoods now and none had an HOA or any type of coverage to the enterance. In my last neighborhood, we all took turns mowing the grass and had a voluntary work day at the entrance. The neighbors in favor of the HOA are citing this as a major concern and reasoning to start the HOA. Until now I have never thought of this but wondered if there was anything to it?
"I can’t imagine someone would sue 40 home owners." tells me you don't know many lawyers.

Back
Top Bottom