• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Liability question

The county or city owns the areas. I've never paid an hoa fee in my life despite being threatened by the hoa's attorney as they tried to fine me over and over again, pissed off all the neighbors. The hoa would leave "fines' in my mail box, they may or not have received return fines as wrapping for dog ****, allegedly
HOA's are straight up communism in a free world, tell them to step off and get ****ed

Remind them that they can establish a voluntary HOA. Anyone in the neighborhood that wants to join can join but it isn't mandatory and has no general enforcement capability. In my neighborhood we have no "common area" but we do have a nice entrance that is professionally landscaped and maintained. Paying for water, electricity (for the lights there) and landscaping is the main annual expense for the HOA.

Such a voluntary HOA would of course be able to purchase whatever policy they want to.

Doesn’t really pertain to fiearms, but have a question on liability. I have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. Current neighborhood has several owners wanting to start one to cover Maintenance and liability insurance for the common areas. We have no pool or facilities. The common area includes a small patch grass by the entrance by the neighborhood sign and 200 or so feet of sidewalk from the entrance to the first house.

My question. If someone gets hurt on the common area (say mowing the grass) as it stands with no HOA and no policy on that common area, what is the liability to the 40 or so homes in the neighborhood? I can’t imagine someone would sue 40 home owners. I have lived in three neighborhoods now and none had an HOA or any type of coverage to the enterance. In my last neighborhood, we all took turns mowing the grass and had a voluntary work day at the entrance. The neighbors in favor of the HOA are citing this as a major concern and reasoning to start the HOA. Until now I have never thought of this but wondered if there was anything to it?
I would not be in favor of participating in a HOA. If the property is not yours you have no liability concerns.

I was always like many of you, eff a HOA.
But my latest move has brought me to a home where I am under the umbrella of TWO HOAs.
Have to say I was not thrilled, at first. But then as I looked around at the manicured lawns and shrubs, the absence of work trucks, ratty boats and junk vehicles littering yards and driveways, I have a new appreciation for them. (Other than the fees)
No real estate, yard sale, or political signage allowed.
Houses are painted in pleasing pastels with no garish trim.
Yard crews show up weekly, cut grass, trim shrubs, edge, leaf blow, remove all debris.
Everyone’s yard sprinklers are plumbed to unmetered water from community well.
Purchased a neighborhood 9-hole golf course, closed it and converted to walking trail and green space. Also maintained weekly.
However, the HOA president and my wife both are adamant that I cannot put a lawn jockey out front.

nope.gif

The county or city owns the areas. I've never paid an hoa fee in my life despite being threatened by the hoa's attorney as they tried to fine me over and over again, pissed off all the neighbors. The hoa would leave "fines' in my mail box, they may or not have received return fines as wrapping for dog ****, allegedly
HOA's are straight up communism in a free world, tell them to step off and get ****ed
Check into having them set effort putting their sh*t in the mailbox. I believe that is still illegal. Avoid hoa at all cost.

Back
Top Bottom