• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightweight build advice

I’m sure most of those reading already know this, but I also want to add the obligatory disclaimer that a lot of this stuff could and some definitively will affect firearm reliability and longevity. Messing with different materials for gas blocks, barrel nuts, etc will obviously have implications. For competitions like what the op described, the juice might be worth the squeeze.

Seeing a lot bad info here, especially for comps like proving grounds. Stay away from shaving weight on your bcg. It can induce multiple other failures. The Aero UL mount is trash. Wouldn't be fun to lose you optic midstream when the mount breaks. Your mount holds the thing that puts the rifle, the shooter and the target all together.

Where I personally would save weight, and where it can legitimately save some weight, is in the barrel and scope. Something like a 14.5 or a proof CF if you want a heavier profile. For the scope, something like the NX8 1-8 is short and light. If you want more magnification, the 2.5-20 would be a good option as well.

You are better off shaving weight on stuff in your kit. Think like a backpacker there. I would not give up reliability, durability and accuracy of your rifle for the sake of a few ounces, or even a pound. That's just me. though.

There’s a 100+ page thread on ultralights on ar15.com with lots of guys going for sub 4 pounds total. It’s doable to make that reliable but won’t be cheap.

The barrel, BcG, and tube are the places that are the easiest to thin down. After that it’s chasing grams and that adds up fast.

I run a light BcG in my 3 gun rifle and have for years without anything breaking.

Check out https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/ parts

I would do a faxon barrel, brigand arms or lancer carbon fiber forend, light BcG, and basic minimalist stock. After that decide what’s worth it and what’s really not.

Seeing a lot bad info here, especially for comps like proving grounds. Stay away from shaving weight on your bcg. It can induce multiple other failures. The Aero UL mount is trash. Wouldn't be fun to lose you optic midstream when the mount breaks. Your mount holds the thing that puts the rifle, the shooter and the target all together.

Where I personally would save weight, and where it can legitimately save some weight, is in the barrel and scope. Something like a 14.5 or a proof CF if you want a heavier profile. For the scope, something like the NX8 1-8 is short and light. If you want more magnification, the 2.5-20 would be a good option as well.

You are better off shaving weight on stuff in your kit. Think like a backpacker there. I would not give up reliability, durability and accuracy of your rifle for the sake of a few ounces, or even a pound. That's just me. though.
I’m using the nx8 on my three gun rifle (18inch 9.6lbs) only problem is I went to shoot one stage at the proving grounds this past weekend and started shooting without hits then realized while slung the exposed turret got spun up like 5 mills lol

I’m using the nx8 on my three gun rifle (18inch 9.6lbs) only problem is I went to shoot one stage at the proving grounds this past weekend and started shooting without hits then realized while slung the exposed turret got spun up like 5 mills lol
Yeah. That is one of my knocks against NF in general. Turrets don't lock.

And congrats on the dub.

Ran across the Fostech magnesium/ aluminum receiver set this morning any thoughts?
Someone else tried to do the whole magnesium lower thing years ago. Had a lot of issues with breaking, especially if the shooter had to mortor the rifle to clear a malfunction. Outside of that, pin holes seemed to enlarge and elongate at an alarming rate. I think the company was magtech. Fostech may have bought them or they are giving it another go.

For affordable lightweight barrels the Ballistic Advantage Hanson is really light. Its around 22 ounces, pretty sure without the gas block weight. The Odinworks Ultralite barrel is also nice with their O2 Lite handguards. The midwest Industries Lightweight Combat rails are also very nice. I'm just thinking about some lightweight parts I have that I really enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom