• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loading Bench: If you could build it again

North Ga Hillbilly

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
First off, I know there is a thread already with people showing off their setups, but thats to show their triumphs, I'm looking for the failures/ missteps. I picked up my Dillon550 from Mrdrhumpherys today, great guy and a solid piece of equiptment. I'm going to be working on my bench for the next week or so, I'm knee deep into pics and plans for benches and as I work at a cabinet shop I can build pretty much anything I can imagine. I am planning on going with a doubled up ply top, laminated with a contrasting laminate so things are easy to spot. Aside from that I'm still working on design for everything else.

So whats your advice, Shelves, drawers, standard 34" height or taller/lower, 4' long or longer, how deep...

I appreciate your insight

-Greg

If you are planning on using the space to work on your long guns, I would make it longer than 4ft. My current bench if 4ft and I find it to be cramped if I want to work on something. I have my 550 mounted as far as I can to the right side of the bench. I bought supplies last week to build a new bench and the main point was to make it 6ft wide. I think I am going to build it slightly higher than 36" just to allow for a better stroke on the machine. I'm not using a strong mount and don't plan on it. The only other thing I really want is some peg board to hang things from. Still working on the shelve layout.

If you are planning on using the space to work on your long guns, I would make it longer than 4ft. My current bench if 4ft and I find it to be cramped if I want to work on something. I have my 550 mounted as far as I can to the right side of the bench. I bought supplies last week to build a new bench and the main point was to make it 6ft wide. I think I am going to build it slightly higher than 36" just to allow for a better stroke on the machine. I'm not using a strong mount and don't plan on it. The only other thing I really want is some peg board to hang things from. Still working on the shelve layout.
Awesome, I appreciate the tips, Ive been thinking that 4 foot would limit me to a "reloading bench" as opposed to double duty as a work bench. I think I'm going to do the same and go 6', how deep did you go with yours?

I went from a 24x48 at 42" high bench, with little to no storage. The 42" is and odd height, unless you want to stand and reload all day. Trust me you can never make the work area to big and you can never have to much shelf or storage space.

I just built a new bench, mine is 30" wide 8" long and I made it 36" high. I have 2 full length shelves above the table that are 16" wide and 18" and 36" high.The upper shelves are backed by a 36" by 8' peg board. The lower shelves are at 4" and 18" and are the same width and length as the bench top.

Awesome, I appreciate the tips, Ive been thinking that 4 foot would limit me to a "reloading bench" as opposed to double duty as a work bench. I think I'm going to do the same and go 6', how deep did you go with yours?

Planning on around 36" deep with a 12" deep shelf sitting on it. Will give 2' of space to work with. My current has 22" of work space and it has been plenty.

I went from a 24x48 at 42" high bench, with little to no storage. The 42" is and odd height, unless you want to stand and reload all day. Trust me you can never make the work area to big and you can never have to much shelf or storage space.

I just built a new bench, mine is 30" wide 8" long and I made it 36" high. I have 2 full length shelves above the table that are 16" wide and 18" and 36" high.The upper shelves are backed by a 36" by 8' peg board. The lower shelves are at 4" and 18" and are the same width and length as the bench top.

I just looked at my plans. I'm going from a height of 30" to 36". I measured out the 42" and it just wasn't going to be comfortable to use as a work bench.

Managed to get my bench put together this evenin. Ended up going with 60" by 30" deep and 35" tall. The top is 2"thick solid with white laminate. I wanted to protect the corners from damage, so I took a steel electrical box and cut it up to use as corner guards.
Base is made up of 2 by 4s with a 2x6 skirt.
I anchored it into the wall mounted the Dillon. It turned out rock solid I'm glad to say.
Thanks for the pointers guys, they really helped out.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_04_a4aqe6ur.jpg

(I've got a stool that is replacing the computer chair tomorrow, if I can find some powder)

NGaHB

How is the height on the down stroke? That is my biggest complaint on my bench that is only 30". I am going to make a couple of mock up pieces of varying height to put on my bench so I can figure out which height I really like. Looks good!

I did, my new bench is the 1st picture

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 208
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom