• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loading Bench: If you could build it again

North Ga hillbilly,

Your bench looks good to go. I would put a shelf on the bottom to store powder, bullets, primer etc. If you have small kids it can be enclosed and locked.

I like the peg board that guys have done and when dry wall goes up I'll do it for mine. I made my table top waist high but you have a window in the way.

Yours should serve you well.

i39.tinypic.com_ih6554.jpg

I'm not a big fan of cleaning weapons were I reload for a number of reasons. I use two separate benches in two separate rooms. My reloading bench is purpose built for reloading with extra shelves (you can't have enough storage).

I appreciate the ideas, Im planning on a shelf underneath, and as kids are a few years off according to the lady of the house, I can leave it out in the open. Im planning on doing some peg board there to the left of the window.

Mac, thats a solid point about guns around reloading areas. Im looking to build another work bench, hope to get it done next pay check :rolleyes:

I saw people were rigging up lights to be able to light up the shell plate area for visual checks of powder charges. I went through some stuff I had put back and found some LED rope. Its a flexible ribbon you can cut into pieces. I am only using 3 lights, so Ive got enough ribbon to make 20+ light set ups. Only need a 12 volt supply and some plugs, I'm going to look into it.

And above all... the first 20 rounds

147 gn Berry's plated over 3.7 gn of Unique

How is the height on the down stroke? That is my biggest complaint on my bench that is only 30". I am going to make a couple of mock up pieces of varying height to put on my bench so I can figure out which height I really like. Looks good!
standing up, its a no go, i might have to get into my daddy's shop and build a "stronger mount". but on a stool its a really nice setup, but that being said I think I am going to have to bring it up, as standing is going to be more comfortable I think

I appreciate the ideas, Im planning on a shelf underneath, and as kids are a few years off according to the lady of the house, I can leave it out in the open. Im planning on doing some peg board there to the left of the window.

Mac, thats a solid point about guns around reloading areas. Im looking to build another work bench, hope to get it done next pay check :rolleyes:

I saw people were rigging up lights to be able to light up the shell plate area for visual checks of powder charges. I went through some stuff I had put back and found some LED rope. Its a flexible ribbon you can cut into pieces. I am only using 3 lights, so Ive got enough ribbon to make 20+ light set ups. Only need a 12 volt supply and some plugs, I'm going to look into it.

And above all... the first 20 rounds

147 gn Berry's plated over 3.7 gn of Unique

Hey that's a great idea for lighting. I have a little flashlight but the wired lights make a lot of sense.

The rounds look good and have the common wasp waist. I never found it an issue. I have found that shooting 9mm through a loose chamber (Glock) a couple-few times the bases sometimes expand just enough to prevent the round from fully chambering (1/32-1/16") in match grade barrels. It's worse with suppressed 147 grain bullets and faster powders as it tends to beat the heck out of the brass.

I shoot mostly 124 grain RN lead cast currently.

I have an led light that looks similar, but is powered by usb. I just plug it up to my computer. All of my load data is on it so it is always near the bench. I keep a notebook also I'm a little ocd.

The rounds look good and have the common wasp waist. I never found it an issue. I have found that shooting 9mm through a loose chamber (Glock) a couple-few times the bases sometimes expand just enough to prevent the round from fully chambering (1/32-1/16") in match grade barrels. It's worse with suppressed 147 grain bullets and faster powders as it tends to beat the heck out of the brass.

I shoot mostly 124 grain RN lead cast currently.

As soon as I get a second barrel for the 19 I'm going to be shooting lead 98% of the time. Are you casting your own? And if so what mold

I was wondering about how much diff in circumference there was where the bullet seats. I didn't see any info about it in layman's, any info to share on it? Ive noticed it before on some factory 147s, but not as bad as these

Edit: Went back and did some reading and some measuring, looks like the carbide die might be partially to blaim. should I back it off some?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom