• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LOL @ GCA writer Tom Taylor admitting to private purchase across State lines.

030700FE-9034-4EBF-97BD-8B15A6B7FA2D.jpeg
Then he would have to record the transaction in his "book" and when he sold it the sale would have to recorded on a 4473.

The author made no mention of a transfer to an Alabama dealer so I don't think he did. He says he bought it from an individual 'walker'. You cannot legally buy AND take possession of a firearm, pistol, long gun, etc. across state lines unless it is transferred through a Federally licensed dealer. You can cross state lines and buy a long gun from an FFL holder in that state, but not an individual. At least legally you cannot.

It is Unconstitutional and absolute rubbish, but it is the correct reading of the law as I understand it.

I know of someone who 15 years ago or so came to Georgia from New Mexico on vacation. He and a friend drove to Alabama to go to a gun show. At said gunshow the New Mexico resident purchased a Colt 1911 from a private seller (who had a table) and paid him with a check that clearly showed he was a NM resident and the seller even wrote down his NM drivers license number.

Totally innocent transaction and the buyer and seller never knew they had broken the law until years later and left a paper trail ten miles wide.

I know of someone who 15 years ago or so came to Georgia from New Mexico on vacation. He and a friend drove to Alabama to go to a gun show. At said gunshow the New Mexico resident purchased a Colt 1911 from a private seller (who had a table) and paid him with a check that clearly showed he was a NM resident and the seller even wrote down his NM drivers license number.

Totally innocent transaction and the buyer and seller never knew they had broken the law until years later and left a paper trail ten miles wide.
The scary part of that story is that the seller actually accepted an out of state check.
Back before ATMs were everywhere I broke down coming back from Savannah, near Claxton I think, when there were not a lot of exits on I 16 and the mechanic wouldn't take an Atlanta area check for 45 bucks...drove me to his bank to get it cashed.

Back
Top Bottom