• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for some experiential knowledge...

For those of you that have been through a radical prostatectomy (prostate cancer):

Prostate was removed last Thursday 08/10/23, catheter was removed yesterday at about 1:30pm. I felt like a new man after the catheter was removed but by 1:30am this morning I still had not been able to urinate, definitely had the urge and desire to go (the cramping was serious!) but no joy. Went to the ER at about 2am this morning and they installed a new catheter and told me that this happens sometimes when you have a catheter in for an extended period of time.

Questions 1.) Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, what did the treatment look like to resolve the issue?

Questions 2.) If you have had a similar issue, did you experience the same problem after the catheter was removed the second time?

I have a pretty high threshold for pain, have had two vertebrae my back fused , spleen removed, both feet operated on, sinuses 'roto rooted', etc. etc. - not being able to piss when I needed to was definitely in the top two. Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Last year, I was in Kennestone for an endarterectomy and while there couldn't urinate. The nurses finally jammed a catheter up my whatsit and I let loose a full 1.1 liters into the bag. They were amazed. That said they made me wear it for 10 days, leg bag and all, and wouldn't take it out until I passed their "void test." That's where it gets infused with about 200 ml of sterile water and they measure how much you void out. Fortunately I passed. They then prescribed something called Flo-max (Tamsulosin) which I think loosens up the prostate - you wouldn't get that I'd assume but there may be some other medication they can prescribe to open up things.

Last year, I was in Kennestone for an endarterectomy and while there couldn't urinate. The nurses finally jammed a catheter up my whatsit and I let loose a full 1.1 liters into the bag. They were amazed. That said they made me wear it for 10 days, leg bag and all, and wouldn't take it out until I passed their "void test." That's where it gets infused with about 200 ml of sterile water and they measure how much you void out. Fortunately I passed. They then prescribed something called Flo-max (Tamsulosin) which I think loosens up the prostate - you wouldn't get that I'd assume but there may be some other medication they can prescribe to open up things.
I actually did the void test yesterday once they took the original catheter out - no issues, at all - 100% void after 150ml infusion. Everything changed once I got home... Spoke to a doctor this afternoon (not my doctor, I guess he was too busy to respond to my message, the urgent message sent by the ER doctor, and the phone message I left this morning) and he told me that I am experiencing bladder spasms. I'm good with the temporary pain/un-comfortability, as long as I know it isn't something more serious happening. I took Tamsulosin prior to having the prostatectomy, it was a God send...

Back
Top Bottom