• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Dogs

You should go back and read his post before you get all "judgemental". It was his "hypothetical" reaction to others for not taking "hypothetical" responsibility for his dog that I have a "hypothetical" problem with.

The OP asked a specific question, and he got his answer. But apparently some people on here live in la la land and think that when dogs escape they go out for a few hours, romp through the woods playfully with Bambi, and come home nice and refreshed with a bouquet of flowers.

Since we have so many "critical thinkers" that like to play "what ifs" and blame hunters for something that rarely, if ever, happens. How about the more likely scenario of your dog getting loose and biting someone or killing livestock or someone's pet? Me personally I'd "hypothetically" take responsibility and deal with my dog myself, and I'd prefer not to have to do that so I take every precaution including training my dog.

If some of you are incapable of keeping your dog from "breaking chains" or getting "out of pens," then it sounds like a dog is too much responsibility for you. Maybe you should try a rabbit as a pet...

I didn't get judgmental, I asked questions and nothing more. As far as reading back to that post, I'm not addressing anyone who is posting violent activities. If you're assuming there is some level of insinuation from my end then, that's something you need to deal with. I asked Poop questions and learned quickly that it was a mistake with little value learned so, I sure as hell am not pursuing answers from anyone discussing violence to a person. Hell, I did mention that some would probably feel that way.

I questioned you about the "dindu nothin" concept of animal owners. The OP didn't say anything about repeated cases from that neighbor. What happened with "respect to your fellow man" and "benefit of the doubt"? How did a dog getting loose become the indicator for irresponsibility? Repeatedly? Yes, I agree and the owner needs to step up or, rehome the animal.

While I do not condone the "hypothetical" violent reactions from dog owners, I can relate to the emotional attachment. Like you, I also believe they should exercise that care and make sure their dogs can't wander into trouble. I'm sure there are far more that are hit by cars than there are being shot.

I responded to your question based on what I said and in relation to the topic of this thread. Of course no one has admitted they might not take responsibility if their dog bit someone or damaged another's property, but the amount of people who keep justifying "accidents" and "slipped collars" is readily apparent. Perhaps you should've just asked me how I'd respond if someone shot my collarless dog while it was out chasing deer...

In regards to the topic of this thread, I've read about one hunter in the last year who has shot dogs while hunting so yes it is rare from a legal issue standpoint - all your personal lifetime incidents notwithstanding... However I can probably easily find 50+ articles of loose dogs doing damage in the last 6 months.

Once again, and in relation to the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD which is dogs chasing deer. You can get mad all you want if your "slipped collar" dog is "in the wrong place not doing anything else wrong at all" - well except chasing deer - and a hunter shoots it, but it's perfectly legal. It may or may not be ethical at the time, but the only person to blame would be yourself.

Of course we both know damn well that this rarely happens, but everyone keep raging... :mad2:
No, not "except chasing deer". Most of the responses IN THIS THREAD are related to the post by Poop about shooting any loose dog he sees because he claims it's feral. That is the point of contention for almost everyone that has objected to the idea of shooting dogs. From the moment he made that post the subject of this thread changed. Go back and read the thread. Then maybe you'll stop trying to re-frame it.

No, not "except chasing deer". Most of the responses IN THIS THREAD are related to the post by Poop about shooting any loose dog he sees because he claims it's feral. That is the point of contention for almost everyone that has objected to the idea of shooting dogs. From the moment he made that post the subject of this thread changed. Go back and read the thread. Then maybe you'll stop trying to re-frame it.

Then once again GO ARGUE WITH HIM.

I'm the one that posted the law for the OP. My later responses have been in regards to people who are making blanket statements (NOT DIRECTED AT HIM) about getting violent with hunters who supposedly shoot dogs (ie. making **** up so they can internet rage).

On the subject of shooting dogs you find "trespassing" on your property and maybe even being some kind of bother or nuisance to you,
check out this story from today's Fox News online.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-veteran-note-dog-shot-dead-leash

QUOTE:
"I’m sorry to inform you that your dog was shot and killed Saturday night while digging through my garbage,” the note said.
“It did not suffer and I did not take pleasure in killing it.
There is a county leash law which you should abide by so that I do not have to kill any more of your pets.”

P.S. I'll bet not a single "leash law" in any county anywhere in this state says it's OK to kill dogs whose owners have violated the leash law.
Just like the law won't say you can go up to those irresponsible owners and punch them in the face.

Most counties have laws against operating a business without a license, but if you see some food truck from DeKalb County operating in Cobb County, and you go up to the truck and inquire if they have a Cobb County business license and food service permit, and they admit they DO NOT, you can't release the parking brake on their truck and send it rolling down the hill to crash in the ditch. There's no presumed right, power, or authority to be the vigilante and hurt people or animals because "they broke the law."

Have had neighboring property dogs chase deer on our property, Deer belong to the state not the lease holder or land owner. Called DNR,ask their advise listened to it and modified it a little after running the modification by them and they agreed, and also talked to local WARDEN.

Dogs came through one Saturday morning, got them to stop for some treats, put them in the truck bed and rode up the road and knew we drove down the right long country drive way, the dogs barking sounding they were home. The owner came out and we exchanged names and hand shakes, handed him the big box of treats which we had given each dog two treats. He said thanks, then we asked him if he would consider penning up the dogs during Deer season as they were being dogs and running Deer while we were hunting. That we would appreciate it. He said he was sorry and would keep them up .

He went one step further and told us he had 200 acres that had not been hunted in 25 years and we could hunt it anytime we wanted too. No that doesn't happen every time however it is all about presentation and planning before you take action, aggression will only bring more aggression, and that's a lose, lose for both parties.

All this to say, BETTER TO THINK THROUGH YOUR WORDS AND ACTIONS, before you have to suffer the consequences which can be very financially costly.

Besides if you have a camp on your lease you have more to lose than they do...

Back
Top Bottom