• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mama Called

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you show me a better one than what we have had or currently have, then I will entertain your little rant, until then, I will stand by my previous post. I was a helluva a great pee wee football coach, went undefeated with my son's team for four years and several county championships, however, like a few of your previous suggestions, I didn't coach division 1 and win multiple national championships so I hereby retract myself from any future discussion of the greatest coaches of all time.

I did show you one, but as previously stated, reading and comprehension is difficult for most Bama fans. You do realize that today's FCS and D3 players would smoke anyone that Bear ever coached.

Now, he was a great one! Not in the same league as the Bear.
Paul Bryant : 323 - 85 - 17
Knute Rockne : 105 - 12 - 5
Joe Paterno : 409 - 136 - 3
Woody Hayes : 238 - 72 - 10
Bo Schembechler : 234 - 65 - 8

Wait, are we doing coaches with the most wins now? Because earlier you stated that shouldn't be a qualification.

I apologize. In my response, I suggested Bama fans read up a little on other coaches in CFB. I should have realized that unless it involves picture books, none of you stand a chance. My bad.
Really, you choose to insult a group of people out of jealously. The point of this thread is to honor the centennial of a great coach. I will never understand someone that prefers to make unfounded insults and resorts to name calling rather than have a respectable discussion. Bear Bryant is recognized as one of the greatest coaches of all time. That opinion is shared by objective fans of college football beyond just the Alabama fan base.

Mtber1172 you are welcome to start a thread honoring the "great" coaches at Appalachian State and UGA.

Last edited:
Really, you choose to insult a group of people out of jealously. The point of this thread is to honor the centennial of a great coach. I will never understand someone that prefers to make unfounded insults and resorts to name calling rather than have a respectable discussion. Bear Bryant is recognized as one of the greatest coaches of all time. That opinion is shared by objective fans of college football beyond just the Alabama fan base.

I believe I said I agree that he was one of the greatest of all time. I don't understand the idol worship of him. Maybe when Richt wins as many national championships and conference titles, I'll understand.

Yes, I managed to type that last part without loling too much.

I did show you one, but as previously stated, reading and comprehension is difficult for most Bama fans. You do realize that today's FCS and D3 players would smoke anyone that Bear ever coached.

Of course, year round sports and weight training was not even a thought at the time. Conditioning and strength indexes, not even invented. What's your point? I still can't find where you specifically named one? Robinson? The Grambling coach? There I said it, no comparison, not even in the same league with talent and competition. Localized market and talent that was spread across a very limited playing field, not nationally. C'mon, even you can see that. Are you seriously trying to say that Grambling (all black school) that recruited (all black athletes) to play against other all black schools in a specialized market was the same as recruiting and playing against USC and nationally? Please don't get me wrong, Robinson was a great coach, but not the same scenario. He had a captive recruiting base, very few of the elite athletes he coached had any other options. He didn't break down barriers and recruit white players, however, Bryant was the first one in the South to recruit black players and did so against the wishes of alumni and the board of trustees at the time.

"Bear Bryant was very instrumental in changing how Alabama thought not just about black football players but how they thought about African Americans in general. His self sacrifice paved the way for African American students to attend college and to earn a degree and better their life. Without Bryant many people think that the covert racism that many blacks faced in those days would have continued to perpetrate, and would have slowed the civil rights movement and advances for all minorities. Although many people don’t think of Bear Bryant as a civil rights leader, in some ways he was one, for the advances in football he made. He gave many African Americans opportunities that they otherwise wouldn’t have had the chance to have. For all the wrong that was racism in the south, Bear Bryant was one individual who stood up against it and defied society in the south." A little excerpt from Bear Bryant and the Color Barrier.

Now, if you wish to engage in the battle of the wits, my comprehension might be slow, but I still managed to earn three degrees and afford my hobby of part time antagonist and full time gun enthusiast, I am up for any challenge.

I believe I said I agree that he was one of the greatest of all time. I don't understand the idol worship of him. Maybe when Richt wins as many national championships and conference titles, I'll understand.

Yes, I managed to type that last part without loling too much.

Good luck with that, might want to start with an SEC championship first and then move onto the National Championship part:)

Let's try to focus shall we.

image.jpg

Of course, year round sports and weight training was not even a thought at the time. Conditioning and strength indexes, not even invented. What's your point? I still can't find where you specifically named one? Robinson? The Grambling coach? There I said it, no comparison, not even in the same league with talent and competition. Localized market and talent that was spread across a very limited playing field, not nationally. C'mon, even you can see that. Are you seriously trying to say that Grambling (all black school) that recruited (all black athletes) to play against other all black schools in a specialized market was the same as recruiting and playing against USC and nationally? Please don't get me wrong, Robinson was a great coach, but not the same scenario. He had a captive recruiting base, very few of the elite athletes he coached had any other options. He didn't break down barriers and recruit white players, however, Bryant was the first one in the South to recruit black players and did so against the wishes of alumni and the board of trustees at the time.

"Bear Bryant was very instrumental in changing how Alabama thought not just about black football players but how they thought about African Americans in general. His self sacrifice paved the way for African American students to attend college and to earn a degree and better their life. Without Bryant many people think that the covert racism that many blacks faced in those days would have continued to perpetrate, and would have slowed the civil rights movement and advances for all minorities. Although many people don’t think of Bear Bryant as a civil rights leader, in some ways he was one, for the advances in football he made. He gave many African Americans opportunities that they otherwise wouldn’t have had the chance to have. For all the wrong that was racism in the south, Bear Bryant was one individual who stood up against it and defied society in the south." A little excerpt from Bear Bryant and the Color Barrier.

Now, if you wish to engage in the battle of the wits, my comprehension might be slow, but I still managed to earn three degrees and afford my hobby of part time antagonist and full time gun enthusiast, I am up for any challenge.

It's not fair to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.

Checkmate.

My whole family is UGA, all I ever hear is Herschel this and Herschel that. Remember that time in the 80's when we were relevant to college football........broken record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom