• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Manning, colts part ways after 14 years.

Good point Unclear, those whose contributions Really matter to society are the least rewarded!
Yeah it's capitalism, which is fine have no problem with people making as much as they can.

I like sports too especially football, but the owners and athletes money is grossly exagerated in inverse proportion to their contribution.
The only reason they can make this money is TV and radio advertising revenue, not because of anything they actually do to benefit society.

If teachers and police could throw advertising all over their clothes, maybe they could get a cut!

Good point Unclear, those whose contributions Really matter to society are the least rewarded!
Yeah it's capitalism, which is fine have no problem with people making as much as they can.

I like sports too especially football, but the owners and athletes money is grossly exagerated in inverse proportion to their contribution.
The only reason they can make this money is TV and radio advertising revenue, not because of anything they actually do to benefit society.

If teachers and police could throw advertising all over their clothes, maybe they could get a cut!

"exagerated in inverse proportion to their contribution." Their contribution to what? Society? Should we be paid based on our contribution to society?

That whole Colts Organization should be made to PAY for The Fraud they perpitrated on the Colts Fans and Football Fans everywhere. This was no less than what the "Black Sox" did in 1919 World Series Fiasco.
I personally think the Colts should have to give every Season Ticket Holder the Next 2 Seasons Free and anyone else that Purchased a Ticket to any of Last Years Games Free tickets even exchange for every Proof of Purchase. And then the Colts Team is Suspended from any Post Season Play for 2 - 3 years. And they Lose their First 3 Draft Picks, for the Next 2 years. They have to Pick Last.
They did EXACTLY what I said they were gonna Do. They knew up front WAY BEFORE PRE SEASON Manning was out for the Season, they SWORE that they were Not going to SCREW the Fans, that they would seek a Temp Replacement for Manning (They even Joked about Calling Bret Farve). They swore that they were NOT GOING TO CALL LAST SEASON A WASHOUT, "The Fans Deserve Better Than That". And what happened, just exactly what "I SAID", The Colts purposely Lost Every Game to Guarantee the First Pick Because they Knew ahead of time they were Cutting Manning and that One of the Supposed Best College QB in Years was due to be coming up in the Current NFL Draft. Make it Look Halfway Believable "BUT LOSE".

Last edited:
"exagerated in inverse proportion to their contribution." Their contribution to what? Society? Should we be paid based on our contribution to society?

Yes,exactly.What contribution is playing a game on tv? I'd say a teacher or fireman benefit society a LOT more than the athletes do. Wrong side of the bed this morning Steve?

Let me go ahead and throw a match on this.......

It is unamerican to say athletes are over paid :D They put butts in the seats and create jobs for tons of people that work in the organizations, the stadiums, vendors, etc, and they generate more than enough revenue to cover their pay. They are employees, so if they didn't cover their pay and also create profit for the owner, they wouldn't have a job. Should the owner get all the money and the athletes just get $50,000 a year?

Actually there are Alot of Statisic's that show Cities that added Sports Teams or Host Teams "Have Not Benefited" anything from the Teams being there. ..........................."A more recent study, by Coates and Humphreys (1999),
finds that new stadiums and sports teams actually reduce per capita income in the
host communities. This result is consistent with a higher (negative) multiplier for
the displaced leisure expenditures than for the expenditures on a new team or in
a new stadium because the latter likely involve substantial leakages from the local
economy to the remote residential locations of some players and team owners.
The conclusion that sports teams and facilities do not stimulate economic
growth is surprising to many people.......................

So how many of us here actually "benefit society"? Do you get up and go to work everyday to "benefit society" or is it because your greedy like the rest of us and want to make money and earn a living? I'm in IT and I am not egotistical enough to think anything I did today will "benefit society".

Peyton manning on the other hand:

Indianapolis Colts Quarterback Peyton Manning established the PeyBack Foundation in 1999 to promote the future success of disadvantaged youth by assisting programs that provide leadership and growth opportunities for children at risk. The Foundation focuses its efforts in a three state region and has donated more than $4.3 million to youth organizations in Indiana, Tennessee and Louisiana since its inception.

I'd say that might qualify as a "benefit to society" but I'm sure the next statement will be that he didn't give enough....

In my opinion, they all make too much. It's not their fault. If people want to pay those outrageous prices, then entertainers are going to make big money. I don't even bother to try to go to a game or concert any more. The primary reason, the cost of the tickets. A Falcons game for a family is going to run $500 - $600 when all costs are considered. A concert is about the same amount. If it weren't for corporations buying most of the seats for "entertaining clients" or for perquisites for the the execs, I think prices would come down significantly because I don't know too many people that can afford it.

In my opinion, they all make too much. It's not their fault. If people want to pay those outrageous prices, then entertainers are going to make big money. I don't even bother to try to go to a game or concert any more. The primary reason, the cost of the tickets. A Falcons game for a family is going to run $500 - $600 when all costs are considered. A concert is about the same amount. If it weren't for corporations buying most of the seats for "entertaining clients" or for perquisites for the the execs, I think prices would come down significantly because I don't know too many people that can afford it.

And that is why there is MTV and ESPN.
Entertainment for the rest of us!

Back
Top Bottom