• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin caught just offshore from home..........

I have first hand seen damage cause by this and told that is what caused it..Just sayin
Okay, but I know this is a common practice by the guides. The one I was with would not even use light tackle because he felt that it exhausted the fish too much and increased the likelihood they would not survive when released. He really was careful about protecting the fish and since he was also a practicing Marine Biologist, I trust his judgement on this.

Come on, DD. Are you against trophy hunting, too?
Not at all but I hate to kill something for a trophy, if you can't eat it...Take measurements with it in the water and have you trophy made. And yes I have white tail, Elk, Striper, Goose, and turkeys on the wall..But I ate all of them first..

Not at all but I hate to kill something for a trophy, if you can't eat it...Take measurements with it in the water and have you trophy made. And yes I have white tail, Elk, Striper, Goose, and turkeys on the wall..But I ate all of them first..
Cool. I feel the same way.

I just did a search for anything about pulling a scale from a Tarpon being bad and found nothing. You know as well as I do that if their was any concern about it I would be able to find all kinds of people ranting against it on the interwebs. I tried a couple of different search phrases and still nothing. It's also not unusual to catch Tarpon that have already lost a couple of scales from natural causes. I honestly don't think it's a real problem to pull a scale. If it were, none of the guides that rely on the Tarpon population for their livelihood would be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom