• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

What an answer! And from a man who actually worked for marlin!
I have actually seen a 336 with the "partial oval" you described. It almost looked like a big letter "C" encompassing half of the "JM" mark.
I really appreciate the effort Sir, truly I do.

Well, it was really no effort on my part. I do like to find answers to questions. Tom did say, in a later PM that Marlin did change to a different vendor around the time the cross bolt safety came out, but when exactly he could not remember. Besides, what difference does it make, we have the answer.

I wish Tom would answer the original question of this thread. But, Tom says he just doesn't know, and it would be nothing more than a guess as to exactly when. But, he said he would go with 2010 as the year.

IMG_0018.JPG
I'll check my 1976, I honestly do no if it has a circle or not. Great question
I'll check my 1976, I honestly do no if it has a circle or not. Great question
See for yourself

JWC, the 30TK is a nice rifle, and I wouldn't turn one down. The safety can be deleted.
K-mart should of had a longer run on them, than two years.
I also like the 30AS.

You must be a regular over on MO. Tomray is the go to guy for anything Marlin, within the time period he worked there.
I did have a question for him that he wasn't sure of, and nobody else at MO could answer either... only speculate.
Back in the 60's through early 70's, Marlin made a lot of what's called "store brand" rifles. Westernfield for Montgomery Wards dept. store,
Revolation for OTASCO, Ted Williams for Sears, and a few others.
Some, if not all of the store brand rifles didn't have The JM proof mark. I have a Westernfield 740 E MN 30=30 that has a "P" for a roll mark, instead of the JM. If you can find the answer for that, I'd appreciate it.

JWC, the 30TK is a nice rifle, and I wouldn't turn one down. The safety can be deleted.
K-mart should of had a longer run on them, than two years.
I also like the 30AS.

You must be a regular over on MO. Tomray is the go to guy for anything Marlin, within the time period he worked there.
I did have a question for him that he wasn't sure of, and nobody else at MO could answer either... only speculate.
Back in the 60's through early 70's, Marlin made a lot of what's called "store brand" rifles. Westernfield for Montgomery Wards dept. store,
Revolation for OTASCO, Ted Williams for Sears, and a few others.
Some, if not all of the store brand rifles didn't have The JM proof mark. I have a Westernfield 740 E MN 30=30 that has a "P" for a roll mark, instead of the JM. If you can find the answer for that, I'd appreciate it.

Well IMR, the short answer is no, I don't have the answer. I know quite a few of the "store brand" Marlins had the "P" stamped, but I don't know what the "P" indicates. I will say that not all of the store brand Marlins had the "P" on them. I have seen one like yours, knew what it was, but could not get together on price with the seller. I am not going to be around much, but PM Tomray and ask about the "P". I would love to know the answer.

Back
Top Bottom