• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

In post 20, I mentioned the half (rhymes with rock but a c in front) and it was deleted. I did not type anything remotely vulgar. Just wanted those reading to know that.
I don't know what you mean. Your original post is there, and it's showing no moderation in this thread???

I don't know what you mean. Your original post is there, and it's showing no moderation in this thread???
Ken, I edited the wording. I changed from "the half cock safety", to "the half cocked safety", and the stars (*****) went away. I hated to change the wording, but I did not want someone to believe I typed something vulgar.

I believe I have one of the in between year models. Quality looks good enough but I haven't shot it yet.
One thing is for sure, the lever looks like it was cut out scrap metal with no finishing machine work. I actually think it might cut me if I chambered too fast.
Any one know who makes a good replacement lever? I've looked at Ranger Point.

Reactions: JWC
Ken, I edited the wording. I changed from "the half **** safety", to "the half cocked safety", and the stars (*****) went away. I hated to change the wording, but I did not want someone to believe I typed something vulgar.
Oh I see. I thought you meant it was deleted in whole, and I didn't see that.

Ken, I have not replaced any of the levers on the rifles I own.....yet, but I can tell you that there is quite a following for the products that Ranger Point makes. Adam, the owner, I have spoken to and he seemed to be a knowledgeable guy, and very hospitable. I believe his wife answers the phone, but I could be wrong there.
Brownell sells them I believe as does http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/883860.htm#883860A
You may be able to find an older DRC lever on e-bay, but I believe DRC is closed. There are a couple more places, but right now I cannot find the information.

OK thanks, thinking of finishing it myself. Might be a little too challenging. Besides I'm kinda digging on that medium loop.

I believe I have one of the in between year models. Quality looks good enough but I haven't shot it yet.
One thing is for sure, the lever looks like it was cut out scrap metal with no finishing machine work. I actually think it might cut me if I chambered too fast.
Any one know who makes a good replacement lever? I've looked at Ranger Point.

Look at my post , it is a RPP

CQB27, I did as you asked and looked at the ad. As for it being birch wood, I don't believe it is. It appears to me that the flash of the camera has "lightened" the color of the wood. I have had that happen when I tried to use a flash to take a picture. I tried to find out if Remington is using birch, and there is a limited amount of information out there. A call to Remington produced the quick reply that they use walnut, but when I pressed a bit, well...they said they used walnut stocks. The machine checkering has been around a while. My Marlin .357 from 1991 has machine checkering, as does my Marlin .410 from 2008 and my Marlin 45/70 from 2007. I would prefer a smooth stock, but I don't mind the machine checkering. Especially if I want the rifle! lol
I cannot find out positively if Remington assembled Marlins with the JM stamp. At this point, with the limited information I have, I would lean toward that Remington did not assemble rifles with the JM stamp. I lean this way because the proof mark is supposed to be stamped after the rifle was assembled. There are a few "take off" barrels that had the JM stamp, and Remington, when they reassembled the rifle, put their stamp either over the JM or on the other side. Thus, there are a few, a few, barresl with two stamps.
Bottom line, to me if it has the JM stamp, it is a Marlin. If it has the REP stamp, it is a Remington. Until I find out differently, that is what I am going with.
But, you have to remember, this is my opinion, and just what do I know?
One more question...............I have noticed some JM stamped barrels have the "JM" alone stamped on the barrel, while others have the stamped "JM" enclosed on an oval. What, if any, is the significance of this? Sorry to be a bit of a bother with all these questions, but this thread just kind of lends itself to it and I don't want to let the opportunity get away. :lemo:

I have nothing to add to the question, since all my Marlin history was learned reading this thread, but I do have a Marlin story.

I was given a 336 RC by my father in 1982 for my 10th Christmas. My father bought the gun used in the mid/late 60s (1965 manuf date), but traded it for a Rem 30 06 when deer hunting became legal in GA (I believe mid/late 70s). He tracked down the owner of the Marlin and bought it back to give to me. My Marlin 30-30 has killed many a deer in it's lifetime. All my other guns (those not lost in the tragic boating accident) have a price tag on them, but not my Marlin!!

Interestingly enough, I decided to take the scope off of it that daddy mounted back in the 60s. I melted several drill bits in the process of trying to drill out the screws on the scope mounts. Finally took a cut off wheel to it and got them removed. I don't know what they used in clear fingernail polish from the 60s, but that was some powerful stuff. Now she is back to her original iron sight condition. :)

Back
Top Bottom