• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metro Atlanta Transfers

Fourth Armory used to do them for free for years. They no longer do FFL related stuffs, just exports. I always used to buy a mag/or two/AR accessory as a thank you but I always got the feeling they got a ton of traffic but no one bothered to be kind in return.
I shifted to TruePrep but I haven't been since they implemented the $20. At this point, who can blame them as gun guys are so cheap these days.

I can blame them...

It takes 10 minutes to log it in and out of your blue books. TOPS!..

I can blame them...

It takes 10 minutes to log it in and out of your blue books. TOPS!..

Well when we saw 50-100 guns a week with three staff working the whole store, no sweat. When you are seeing close to 75+guns per day into the store....10 minutes per gun seems pretty long eh? God forbid you misread a 1960s scratched up serial or the shipper doesn't include the FFL and your on the phone for an hour attempting to get the info to put it in the system....but hey what do I know.

Also about the $25 per firearm, it was a mistake on the back end and emails were sent to correct, if you got missed - hit us in an email. It is $20.

Thanks,

Well when we saw 50-100 guns a week with three staff working the whole store, no sweat. When you are seeing close to 75+guns per day into the store....10 minutes per gun seems pretty long eh? God forbid you misread a 1960s scratched up serial or the shipper doesn't include the FFL and your on the phone for an hour attempting to get the info to put it in the system....but hey what do I know.

Also about the $25 per firearm, it was a mistake on the back end and emails were sent to correct, if you got missed - hit us in an email. It is $20.

Thanks,

My problem isn't with you charging in this time of exponential growth...

$20 is fair. Anything north of that is ridiculous considering the effort involved.

Back when I lived in North Carolina there were only 2 FFLs in my county, and they got into a price war. Except they were going the wrong way. When prices hit $80 per transfer I had enough of that **** and got an FFL. Started doing transfers myself for $5. Was averaging 100 transfers a week.

Of course that was back in 2009, and things have changed since then...but I still feel most places charge ridiculous rates for transfers considering the little amount of work that goes into it.

$20 is fair. Anything north of that is ridiculous considering the effort involved.

Back when I lived in North Carolina there were only 2 FFLs in my county, and they got into a price war. Except they were going the wrong way. When prices hit $80 per transfer I had enough of that **** and got an FFL. Started doing transfers myself for $5. Was averaging 100 transfers a week.

Of course that was back in 2009, and things have changed since then...but I still feel most places charge ridiculous rates for transfers considering the little amount of work that goes into it.

We didn't want to discontinue free transfers and will resume them at some point in the future. Coronavirus caused a significant increase

Yeah, you doing 100 a week is still a lot. Were you just running a gun store? We do so much more then just guns and we are running 5-6 staff a day and still have complaints we aren't being able to help enough people. (which is a good thing for business) but with all growth you reach a point of balance and with only 10 hour work days you can't do much more.

We are one of the few using electronic 4473's and we process faster then anywhere I personally shop in a LGS and still have a line of just transfers most days. Then comes the argument of how long should you spend with a customer doing a transfer when you got 3 trying to buy a gun.....

I don't think it will ever be perfect but we are giving it our best shot trying to keep up.

Thanks,

We didn't want to discontinue free transfers and will resume them at some point in the future. Coronavirus caused a significant increase

Yeah, you doing 100 a week is still a lot. Were you just running a gun store? We do so much more then just guns and we are running 5-6 staff a day and still have complaints we aren't being able to help enough people. (which is a good thing for business) but with all growth you reach a point of balance and with only 10 hour work days you can't do much more.

We are one of the few using electronic 4473's and we process faster then anywhere I personally shop in a LGS and still have a line of just transfers most days. Then comes the argument of how long should you spend with a customer doing a transfer when you got 3 trying to buy a gun.....

I don't think it will ever be perfect but we are giving it our best shot trying to keep up.

Thanks,

I was just a one man shop based out of a detached garage.

At the time my emphasis was on gunsmithing but I also dealt in used guns. This was also before efiling.

I completely understand the retail nightmare, that's why I don't do that anymore.

Once again I wasn't bitching about y'all. Just about the general situation and people taking advantage a manufactured crisis.

Thanks,

Don't forget to ask yourself "How many of the 3 buying guns are there because we original met them in a free transfer"? I personally drive past probably a dozen closer FFL's to come spend money at your store because of your free transfer process. I also ALWAYS buy at least one thing while I am there. Add up gas and money spent at your store and I'm sure I am spending more than I would just doing it locally BUT I want to support businesses like Tru Prep that try to give back to the gun community with free FFL's.

Back
Top Bottom