• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mon. Rant No. 1 - inspection of real "collectors items"

Not sure I follow. I don't care if it's literally the only one in the world or something with 50 million currently in use, I'm not buying anything until it passes some sort of basic inspection even if only reviewing cosmetics. I can't imagine a seller insisting otherwise. After you meet to see the item, if it is not to your liking for the price agreed to, simply don't buy it. What am I missing here? :confused:

I have had several sellers (over years) that refuse to allow an inspection of the firearm before receiving an offer to purchase. Their responses make reference to "tire kickers" and "lookie lou" who their busy life does not allow them to deal with. I'm talking about $1500 guns and up.

Keeping in mind the expansive definition of "95%" condition that seems prevalent on ODT.

The attitude seems unique to the gun sellers, as I've bought stuff from nearly every other listing, and everyone else is comfortable with "I'd like to look at before I commit to buying it".

So how much of an inspection can you do if you meet after work (which means after dark) at the parking lot of some local business? I mean if it’s a true collectors item and you need to inspect the condition of it, you probably need to go ahead and bring an old shop towel to lay across the table at the Waffle House and sip hot coffee while you inspect all the parts in good lighting.

I have had several sellers (over years) that refuse to allow an inspection of the firearm before receiving an offer to purchase. Their responses make reference to "tire kickers" and "lookie lou" who their busy life does not allow them to deal with. I'm talking about $1500 guns and up.

Keeping in mind the expansive definition of "95%" condition that seems prevalent on ODT.

The attitude seems unique to the gun sellers, as I've bought stuff from nearly every other listing, and everyone else is comfortable with "I'd like to look at before I commit to buying it".
"Refuse to allow an inspection before receiving an offer to purchase." ???
I still don't understand. Let me lay out a scenario for that seller. He describes the gun in whatever way he describes it and I take him at his word and perhaps the pictures seem to reinforce his description. They want $1,500 and I think it's fair based on the description. I tell them I want it. I go and meet them and the gun is NOT as described in any myriad of ways that make it no longer worth the price to me. I tell them "No thanks" and go back home. (That's obviously the short version.) That has happened a total of twice to me as I generally speaking don't expect people to be as picky as I am so I discount their 'excellent condition' description from the get go.
So again, what am I missing here? I'm genuinely confused. You are under no obligation to buy if the gun is not to your satisfaction. You are under an obligation to show up for a meet if the deal is confirmed via PM (and you haven't cancelled in a reasonable enough amount of time in advance.) If a seller says "I'm not willing to discuss this unless you agree to purchase sight unseen for my asking price." Well after I caught my breath from laughing I'd probably simply say, "Have a nice day."

I used to think Gunbroker was the last great bastion of optimistic values and prices but I do believe the ODT is vying for that position... :)
ODT long since passed that threshold. Gunbroker is where I sail guns, not ODT. That said, I have no issue with someone looking an item over if it's surplus or valuations vary greatly over small condition changes. I take good photos and will take more if there are areas of specific concern. I'd expect the same courtesy if I was a buyer. Absolute sail based on the typical shyt pictures posted on the ad or "text me fer piktures" is ridiculous.

Agreeing a time and a place to meet, and turning up on time, does not commit anyone to buy.

You don't get a neg for not buying, you get a neg for not showing up after agreeing to.
This plus you are also agreeing to the price or trade value along with the meet, with the caveat that the item matches the description and pics. Otherwise this unwinds before it even gets started.

However, if i were selling a true collectible I would would expect some scrutiny. A true parts matching wartime piece needs to be checked, definitely not the same value as a mixmaster.

Back
Top Bottom