• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving out of state?

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
I have lived in GA for all of my 42 years and my family is from here going back many generations. Dad even recently gave me a photo of his grandfather in front of the Atlanta streetcar he operated back in the 20’s. There are not many of us left, and I have a budding interest in packing up myself.

While I live in the city, I love open country. The closest things I have found to it here are the Okeefenokee and the Cohutta. Both are wonderful places where you can still get lost, but I want more.

I am entertaining a job prospect that is out in Colorado only a few miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. It’s both exciting and frightening to think about picking up my family and moving across the country. Ever since I first went hiking out there, I have dreamed of living there right up next to the Rockies, and now it’s possible.

Who here has packed up and moved to somewhere you’ve only dreamed of? Was it worth it? Did it work out as you thought?

While CO wouldn't be my first choice, I'd still do it in a minute. I've only lived in 4 different states (LA, FL, GA, IL). I'm getting out of here as soon as I can and like you, it will be to open spaces and ample opportunities for outdoor activities. The 'trauma' of moving last a VERY short time. Just do it!
Idaho, Utah, Montana, Arkansas, rural TX or TN....

Spent 25 years in the Military and didn't sit still for more than 3 years, at a time. I lived in Hawaii, Germany, South Korea, Oklahoma and of course GA. All of which I loved. However, when my time came to settle down and grow roots. I decided to stick with what was familiar to me and where I grew up, with that said. I would gladly travel again and see new and exciting lands, but I will always call the south my home.

I definitely think about that, but my wife and kids are to grounded here with family and friends. I think when the kids are long gone, I won't have any desire to live in the hills. Somewhere warm and flat with an ocean sounds about right.

I believe I'd enjoy the mountain life of Tenn or North ga. Both have there advantages and disadvantages . North Ga borders North Carolina and that area is appealing. The Alaskan outback is a dream type environment , but for a younger man to set up roots.

Either choice you make OP, good luck. As long as you have family with you, you'll do alright.

I traveled when I worked and made it to 45 of the lower 48 states. Colorado is like California-Lite. Pretty liberal and getting more-so, beautiful scenery but that is also part of your paycheck...meaning for a more expensive place to live, don't expect a commensurate increase in your paycheck. i.e. 20% more expensive, but only a 10% bump in pay.

If you haven't been around snow, and move up into the Rockies, it can be a shock. Not just the colder temps, but just getting out and about in snow/ice. I can be done, but does requires some new skills. Also if you have any health issues, they can be aggravated by higher elevation.

I have seen 60 degree days in Denver, where you drive by a golf course and people are playing, and the sand traps are filled with snow. It can snow in almost any month in the mountains, and about any month except June, July and August in Denver and other front range communities. Rocky baseball can get snowed out in April and September. Denver is just like any other big city with shopping, traffic and crime. I spent the winter of 2010-11 out there and was appalled that they didn't plow the streets other than the Interstates. And went thru several snowstorms of 8-10 inches at a time. It is assumed you know how to drive in it, so we don't need to waste money clearing roads. It is a pain in the ass walking and you have to be careful.

All this said, I loved the time I spent in CO, I am an old steam train fan, and there is a lot of related stuff there, narrow gauge trains, museums, old mining towns. I like VISITING CO, but wouldn't want to live there.

Who here has packed up and moved to somewhere you’ve only dreamed of? Was it worth it? Did it work out as you thought?

As a young man living in the northeast (NJ, MA), I dreamed of living someplace with less people, less government, and more outdoor space to enjoy. Had my sights set on Texas. Circumstances led me to Georgia. Have been here for 27 years now. Absolutely no regrets, other than distance to extended family members. Don't want to live anywhere else.

If you have the means and mobility, you're health is good enough to enjoy the new environment, and your family is up for the adventure, then do it.

Be forewarned: Colorado, as beautiful as it is, is now a blue state. Dems control the legislature and the governor's mansion, which means they can run whatever agenda they want. The new governor is a hard lefty who brings a heavy gun control agenda to the table.

Alaska would be awesome, but when I visit and speak with people that do live there, it’s a tough life, and the winters can be brutal. The wife also said there is no chance in hell she is moving to AK, so there’s that... Colorado winters are much more palatable, from what I can tell.

I have hiked and camped a lot in North Carolina and I think I could be content up there. But, the vastness of the Rockies and the awe I feel above the tree line can’t be beat. The Sierra Nevada mountains come close, but California is a non starter.

Every time I am in that environment, days walk away from a road, waking up to a star filled sky and setting out for an ascent of a random peak. I have a harder and harder time getting back on the plane to come home...

Smiley how old are you? Obviously you are in good shape to hike the Rockies, but these are "young people" states for the in-shape folks. Don't hear of many seniors retiring to 7000 feet of elevation....we need all the oxygen we can get!!!

Smiley how old are you? Obviously you are in good shape to hike the Rockies, but these are "young people" states for the in-shape folks. Don't hear of many seniors retiring to 7000 feet of elevation....we need all the oxygen we can get!!!

Heh! At 42 years old, I’m not looking for retirement. I’m in okay shape but trying to get better. I’m no trail runner, but I love a good long walk in the woods. My last big trip was to the Sierras and we covered over 60 miles.

Back
Top Bottom