• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. green jeans experience while hunting.

An even better illustration of my point is what you would do if your family was hungry and a deer walked in your back yard out of season or a little past shooting light. If you would take a deer in that scenario to feed your family (and I hope you would) ...then we are just debating when, not if, it’s ok to bend a game Law.

I agree with you guys about obeying game laws.

In general.

However, I will say that some game laws that are passed to protect idiots on public land make no sense on private land.

So will I leave my orange on during bow season if I’m in a tree stand in the middle of thousands of acres of private land....?

Of course, it’s the Law.

I submit to only one set of laws blindly and completely. They come from above, not from men. In deciding which laws made by men I will follow I use the wise advice...”Render unto Caesar’s what is Caesar’s”...

I have broken some laws before...and probably will again. Given the current world we live in I may break a lot in the future.
But ultimately, we all have to make choices we can sleep at night with...and some of the game laws we have currently...well let’s just say they can be bent a little and not keep me awake at night.

And I would argue that speeding in the wrong place puts human life at risk, not a dumb animal.
Um, unless the law has changed and I missed it, orange is not legally required during bow season. Maybe if you were more familiar with the laws...

I would love to be with you folks on a Western trophy hunt where you had an outfitter...hunting on private land...and at one minute before legal shooting hours a buck of a lifetime walks out where you have 10 seconds to shoot or not shoot.

And let’s say you have 10k invested in the hunt and hundreds of hours of preparation.

And let’s say the outfitter gets a $1000 bonus if you take a trophy buck.

That’s when most folks get off the high horse and fish.

You know, like the story about the game warden who suspected one of his buddies of using a telephone in the river to take fish illegally? So, as the story goes, the gw asks to go with his buddy fishing the next morning and his buddy cheerfully agrees.

After a few minutes of drifting down the river, the buddy pulls out a stick of dynamite, and starts to light it while the GW starts threatening him with arrest and explaining why it’s illegal to do that.

The buddy replies as he hands the lit stick of dynamite to the GW...”You gonna sit there and jaw all morning or are you gonna fish?”
:fish2:
lol, suppose all you want. I assure you I'd not pull the trigger. I'd not only take no satisfaction in knowingly breaking the law, I'd be embarrassed about it. How could you look at that mount knowing the truth? Yes, we are all clearly different. That becomes more evident each day.
While game was a decent amount of table fare in my youth, I can' say I ever "had to" hunt to eat. We aren't even remotely discussing that. What is not unbelievable is that I have some unrealistic ethic, what is unbelievable, is that some find it so. You continue to prove the very point I made about the percentage of law breakers who poach and call themselve "hunters".

Another example. I’m at my house that is 2 minutes from my farm and I get a call from neighbor that my horse is tangled in the fence wire and struggling to get out. He could break a leg at any minute.

I jump in my truck and remember that my tag expired yesterday. Crap.

Oh well, poor horse right? Let him die while I obey Caesar’s law and wait for my wife to get home and take me to tag office?

That’s what dilemmas following the letter of man’s law will get you in...

Um, unless the law has changed and I missed it, orange is not legally required during bow season. Maybe if you were more familiar with the laws...

Easy now. Read a little closer...I wasn’t referring to GA law only...but game laws in general.
It may not be the Law here right now (yet) but it damn sure is in other parts of the country.

Another example. I’m at my house that is 2 minutes from my farm and I get a call from neighbor that my horse is tangled in the fence wire and struggling to get out. He could break a leg at any minute.

I jump in my truck and remember that my tag expired yesterday. Crap.

Oh well, poor horse right? Let him die while I obey Caesar’s law and wait for my wife to get home and take me to tag office?

That’s what dilemmas following the letter of man’s law will get you in...
lolwut? You are all over the irrelevant place trying to justifying breaking game laws.
Focus like a laser on why it's OK to shoot that buck. If 1 minute is ok why not 5? Why not 30? 60? I mean, it's just one of the king's dead deer.

I would love to be with you folks on a Western trophy hunt where you had an outfitter...hunting on private land...and at one minute before legal shooting hours a buck of a lifetime walks out where you have 10 seconds to shoot or not shoot.

And let’s say you have 10k invested in the hunt and hundreds of hours of preparation.

And let’s say the outfitter gets a $1000 bonus if you take a trophy buck.

That’s when most folks get off the high horse and fish.

You know, like the story about the game warden who suspected one of his buddies of using a telephone in the river to take fish illegally? So, as the story goes, the gw asks to go with his buddy fishing the next morning and his buddy cheerfully agrees.

After a few minutes of drifting down the river, the buddy pulls out a stick of dynamite, and starts to light it while the GW starts threatening him with arrest and explaining why it’s illegal to do that.

The buddy replies as he hands the lit stick of dynamite to the GW...”You gonna sit there and jaw all morning or are you gonna fish?”
:fish2:

I’d call that guy a douche,
Shoot a big doe and take his $10,000.00.

Look guys, I’m just pointing out that when you let a bunch of beauracrats in their air conditioned offices (who have never hunted a day in their life) start writing hunting regulations you are going to end up with too many rules and rules that may not make sense, I’m a conservationist at heart. I believe in being a good steward of the land and game in it. But I don’t believe every game Law deserves strict, blind adherence. I respect your decision to do so. I won’t ridicule your choices,
Just don’t throw so many rocks when you live in a glass house.

It’s true of every walk of life these days....so many laws, thousands of pages of details, turning people who try to be law abiding into criminals. It’s happening now with our carry regulations and will happen soon with bump stocks, 30rd mags, etc.
No one in America is in full compliance with the millions of stupid laws on the books. Read the full IRS tax code and see if I’m right. You can’t follow them because they are too complex, often contradictory and simply too much information.

Reactions: MRM
lolwut? You are all over the irrelevant place trying to justifying breaking game laws.
Focus like a laser on why it's OK to shoot that buck. If 1 minute is ok why not 5? Why not 30? 60? I mean, it's just one of the king's dead deer.

Exactly. Glad you agree. Waiting one minute, one second, etc ...who cares? Who does it hurt? You are a better person if you pass up on that shot? Lol, I’d love to see you explain that to your outfitter.

And I’m saying, if it offends your conscience to take that shot, by all means don’t do it.

And I’ll make my own decision...and if you get on your high horse and criticize me I’ll laugh and sick the IRS on you.

Or I’ll run your watch forward a minute when you are not looking and then go help you drag your buck out. :becky:

Exactly. Glad you agree. Waiting one minute, one second, etc ...who cares? Who does it hurt? You are a better person if you pass up on that shot? Lol, I’d love to see you explain that to your outfitter.

And I’m saying, if it offends your conscience to take that shot, by all means don’t do it.

And I’ll make my own decision...and if you get on your high horse and criticize me I’ll laugh and sick the IRS on you.

Or I’ll run your watch forward a minute when you are not looking and then go help you drag your buck out. :becky:
So now I cheat on my taxes? Wow.
Why is it so hard for people who break game laws to believe there are some who won't? I get it may help justify your actions to yourself but you seem to be doing OK on that front by dismissing the need for certain laws. Please don't drag me in the dirt to make yourself feel better when you don't know a single thing about me.
I've passed on bucks that would have been illegal for any number of reasons and I enjoy the memory of each one. But killing isn't why I hunt either. I get for some it's not only the end game, it's the only game. As I've said before, I really wish they'd find a new hobby.

Back
Top Bottom