• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My 1st and last ND Very nasty pics. I get to go back to work

I have no idea how I missed this thread...but I did. Glad for you that the loss was not worse, and that you have made a quick recovery.

I have to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you may never quite have full strength in that hand again. Take it from someone who has injured his left hand 3 times - including one that should have been debilitating - it's extremely hard to rebuild the muscles and tendons. The newest injury is almost 12 years old, and I still don't have all of the strength I once had in my left hand. I have more than sufficient strength in that hand...but it's still about 3/4 or so of what I used to have. On a positive note, I have ridiculous strength in my right hand from having to do everything one-handed so many times!

And you did make me laugh when you talked about being able to pull your pants up with both hands. My greatest joy all three times I injured my thumb was to be able to button a pair of blue jeans with both hands. People who have never injured a hand have no idea how much the little things really mean.

Best wishes for continued recovery...hope you do get all the strength back eventually!

I have no idea how I missed this thread...but I did. Glad for you that the loss was not worse, and that you have made a quick recovery.

I have to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you may never quite have full strength in that hand again. Take it from someone who has injured his left hand 3 times - including one that should have been debilitating - it's extremely hard to rebuild the muscles and tendons. The newest injury is almost 12 years old, and I still don't have all of the strength I once had in my left hand. I have more than sufficient strength in that hand...but it's still about 3/4 or so of what I used to have. On a positive note, I have ridiculous strength in my right hand from having to do everything one-handed so many times!

And you did make me laugh when you talked about being able to pull your pants up with both hands. My greatest joy all three times I injured my thumb was to be able to button a pair of blue jeans with both hands. People who have never injured a hand have no idea how much the little things really mean.

Best wishes for continued recovery...hope you do get all the strength back eventually!

Thanks brother. I can definitely appreciate the small things that are now slightly more difficult than before but I have made an awesome recovery all things considered. It's very important to stay focused on getting better. To anyone who has been there you know how much it hurts and how hard it is to push through but the pay off is worth the pain

Thanks brother. I can definitely appreciate the small things that are now slightly more difficult than before but I have made an awesome recovery all things considered. It's very important to stay focused on getting better. To anyone who has been there you know how much it hurts and how hard it is to push through but the pay off is worth the pain

Dude...no doubt your recovery is nothing short of amazing, bordering on miraculous. Definitely wasn't trying to diminish that in any way. And brother, you know it - PT on a severely injured hand has got to be the worst kind of pain there is. Just so you know...I have broken two of the three bones in my left thumb, one of them to the point where the bone was displaced across the palm of my hand. Tons of ligament, tendon and muscle damage. Were it not for a gift orthopedic surgeon who specialized in hand repairs, I probably would not have the use of my thumb that I do today. Still, he told my mom that I would be lucky to have 70% use of my thumb. Luckily...I was young (19) when I did it, and beat the odds. I made a similar recovery to yours, playing softball 8 weeks after the bone was set thanks to a special brace for my thumb. Went through 2-3 weeks of PT...sucked, but I got my strength back. Second time, I broke the same thumb playing softball...but not the same bone. This time I had very little bone damage, but a lot of ligament damage. I was about 8 years older...and it was a lot longer to recover. More PT...couldn't regain all the strength, but got close. Then if that wasn't enough...in 2000, I split the SAME THUMB open on a metal plate...all the way from my thumbnail almost to first joint, all the way to the bone. 23 stitches to fix it up. When they took they stitches out 14 days later, it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I had so much scabbing and scar tissue that I almost puked while the nurse was removing the stitches. To this day...I only have about 50% feeling in my thumb, and maybe about that much of my original strength. But considering I can still take an oil filter off a car with nothing but my right hand...I think I'll be OK. ;)

I didn't tell my story to even compare it to losing a digit...I can't even imagine what that has been like. I only told it to commiserate the 'joys' of PT on an injured hand with you.

Best of luck to you man...and congrats on the new addition to your family!

Last edited:
Glad your recovery has been positive and I hope that it continues to progress.

Unfortunately, because of someone's piss poor judgement I feel y'alls pain. I went through 12 surgeries in a single year and had the "joys" of 2hr long PT sessions 3 days a week. I was ecstatic to finally be able to take a shower by myself and button a pair of jeans. The smallest things you'd never imagine felt like winning the lottery once I was able to overcome them and able to do them again.

Glad your recovery has been positive and I hope that it continues to progress.

Unfortunately, because of someone's piss poor judgement I feel y'alls pain. I went through 12 surgeries in a single year and had the "joys" of 2hr long PT sessions 3 days a week. I was ecstatic to finally be able to take a shower by myself and button a pair of jeans. The smallest things you'd never imagine felt like winning the lottery once I was able to overcome them and able to do them again.

I feel you brother

Back
Top Bottom