• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My CC PERMIT DENIED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The marijuana charge used to be a lifetime disqualifyer from getting a carry permit, even if it was a misdemeanor and even if it didn't affect your right to own a firearm.

This is a fairly recent change in the law within the last 10 years or so.

Now if you go back to the 1970s I'm not sure that less than an ounce of marijuana was a misdemeanor! Didn't Georgia have a legal system that classified all illegal drugs as "felony" violations and only after some years of screwing people over with that unfair system did the legislature finally pass some reform laws that allowed for misdemeanor prosecutions on less than an ounce, for personal use?

Great...My license expires in January. If I renew, I hope they don't screw with me for underage drinking back in '93...

I've never had a problem, yet, in DC, but sounds like these new idiots are looking for a reason to screw with someone. Typical democrat scumbags.

The marijuana charge used to be a lifetime disqualifyer from getting a carry permit, even if it was a misdemeanor and even if it didn't affect your right to own a firearm.

This is a fairly recent change in the law within the last 10 years or so.

Now if you go back to the 1970s I'm not sure that less than an ounce of marijuana was a misdemeanor! Didn't Georgia have a legal system that classified all illegal drugs as "felony" violations and only after some years of screwing people over with that unfair system did the legislature finally pass some reform laws that allowed for misdemeanor prosecutions on less than an ounce, for personal use?

"Misdemeanor" possession came into being around 1975. Before that any wacky weed was a felony.

Good friend of mine ran into a notorious "hanging judge" in West Georgia, and actually spent a year in the state pen for about the amount of weed in one joint. Them was the days.

Other people who had serious criminal charges brought, but later dismissed, or dead docketed 30, 40 or 50 years ago could be in a much worse situation:
where the court does not have the records anymore (they either never saved the records in the first place or they destroyed them as a space saving measure after 20 years).

Those GWL applicants can't just go down to the courthouse and pay a small fee to get a certified copy of the dismissal, since there is no dismissal to be found on the record! They might end up having to hire a lawyer, to file a motion for a judge to officially dismiss it retroactively, now for then.
"Dead docketing" is the worse, because there is no official record that it happened. There is no real thing as a "dead docket" It's not an official status, and 20 years later, anyone who knows anything about it is dead or retired. As far as the "official" record is concerned, it's still an active and pending case.

if you are lucky, you can find a younger prosecutor who doesn't think he is God's avenging angel and he or she will sign off on the paperwork to make it all go away.

But then you will probably have to hire a lawyer who actually knows what he is doing, and that seems to be out of favor on the ODT.

Douglas county did me that way too. Had a permit in Clayton County that expired just after we moved out to Douglas. They wanted to know the outcome of a wrongful arrest from 78 in CC. I had to go to CC courthouse, dig through the book of Scott, find the dismissed verdict and bring it to the DC judge. all has been well since then, 3 renewals I think....

I was informed by DeKalb "officials" I could get it purged from the records for an amount to be determined. I paid the $5 bucks and kept the paper. This year in Forsyth it wasnt brought up.

I was informed by DeKalb "officials" I could get it purged from the records for an amount to be determined. I paid the $5 bucks and kept the paper. This year in Forsyth it wasnt brought up.
It takes a clerk a while to chisel away your arrest record....
1628819403408.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom