• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Garand went boom.. good and bad. I need some help.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAgYAAAAJGI0YTI5ZWNjLWUwODAtNGY4Zi05MDg2LTBjYmJmNzdiZTAyOA.jpg
No, no... I made it work, lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Now Google how to clean and grease the rifle. If you can't strip it, clean it, lube it and put it back together then you need to find someone who can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Now Google how to clean and grease the rifle. If you can't strip it, clean it, lube it and put it back together then you need to find someone who can.

Yes, that is my plan. I only got one round off. It fired so sweet. Then I thought I broke it. In reality the last thing I want to do is cause it or any of my milsurp rifles 'harm.' So, I will learn how to care for them properly. Thanks.

Yes, that is my plan. I only got one round off. It fired so sweet. Then I thought I broke it. In reality the last thing I want to do is cause it or any of my milsurp rifles 'harm.' So, I will learn how to care for them properly. Thanks.

Oh, and don't shoot commercial 3006 in it unless it's specifically designed for the Garand. It will bend the op rod! (you can get an adjustable gas plug to allow it)

Also, a good rule of thumb for lubrication is, if it rotates oil it, if it slides grease it. Ya don't need fancy gun grease either. Cheap tub of non moly (unless you like the smell) from the auto parts store will do fine.

Also, didn't mean to sound so bitchy in my previous post..... I'm gonna blame it on German beer and lack of sleep!

The trigger group magwell "floor" is actually a spring, and should exert tension on the stock when locked up. Stocks compress over time and may need replaced, shimmed, or glassed. CMP had some target prepped stocks that were glassed in order to restore proper lockup, but has been more than 10 years since I have seen one from them.

Oh, and don't shoot commercial 3006 in it unless it's specifically designed for the Garand. It will bend the op rod! (you can get an adjustable gas plug to allow it)

Also, a good rule of thumb for lubrication is, if it rotates oil it, if it slides grease it. Ya don't need fancy gun grease either. Cheap tub of non moly (unless you like the smell) from the auto parts store will do fine.

Also, didn't mean to sound so *****y in my previous post..... I'm gonna blame it on German beer and lack of sleep!

Lol, blame it on the beer. Ha, I know that German beer well. It'll sneak up and take over like a foreign spirit taken over your functions.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard about the need to only fire the CMP ammo, and that's what I used. I appreciate the 'care and maintenance' tips. Learning everything possible is on my agenda for sure.

See if this link works. Should be a good ops guide to get you started.

http://m1garandtraining.com/media/M...Organizations - Change 2 Final 06-15-2015.pdf

Thanks, I will look that up. Would you all recommend doing this vs just shooting CMP ammo?

Garand gear gas plug. They work fantastic-ly. I have shot all types of 30.06 ammo through my Garand with ZERO problems.

Would you recommend making this change vs buying ammo from the CMP? Is regular .30-06 ammo cheaper to buy. Sure it would be easier to locate, Walmart, etc.

Trigger guard has little teeth so to speak that dig into stock

Stock may be compressed over time

Happy to discuss if your struggling

Thank you. I appreciate the willingness to help.

Back
Top Bottom