• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My take on a 1911 CCW .45 acp

I think it’s pretty well thought out. Lacking sights is not the detriment some may imagine if one practices the point and shoot technique often…it’s more muscle memory and eye-hand coordination anyway. In a self defense situation, those factory or aftermarket sights on most pistols don’t really get “seen” when the adrenaline is flowing wide open for us non- operator, low speed-high drag average Joe’s who aren’t John Wick.
I entirely disagree. You might not get a full sight picture, or perfect front sight focus… but having sights can be pretty important. Especially under stress. Point shooting in a shooting lane, in a controlled environment, without a dynamic target, is A LOT different than engaging a real threat.

That’s also not to mention the increasing number of instances in which threats have been engaged and eliminated at a significant distance with a handgun.

83A0AF3B-032D-4CAF-AC3E-86C6C9A9C319.gif

So I started this journey years ago thinking what I wanted in CCW. What I settled on after thinking and deciding what direction to take I ended up with jewel.
Caspian arms fullsize frame and officers slide comp barrel full length guide rod ect.
The big thing was NO SIGHTS, flat topped knurled which actually gives a rough trough like sight. Now for the final steps it will be high polish blue on the flats and matte blue everywhere else.
Let me know what u think
Sounds like a good weapon

I entirely disagree. You might not get a full sight picture, or perfect front sight focus… but having sights can be pretty important. Especially under stress. Point shooting in a shooting lane, in a controlled environment, without a dynamic target, is A LOT different than engaging a real threat.

That’s also not to mention the increasing number of instances in which threats have been engaged and eliminated at a significant distance with a handgun.

Years ago, I worked for a security company while in college and was posted at a construction site away from population…. I burned up 500+ rounds of ammo every week over the months I was out there and entered the AirForce soon afterwards…. I was placed in Law Enforcement after boot camp and earned "Expert" and "Marksman" awards with the 38spcl service revolver and the M-16…. most of the firing with the revolver was "point-and-shoot" whether stationary, pop-up or moving targets at the firing range…. I am a big advocate of the "point-and-shoot" technique because it’s all about muscle memory and proper positioning & placement…. most self-defense situations demand a rapid response to which one has no "time" to take aim and those events take place within 10 yards….

If you HAVE to use your gun sights in a defensive situation, I'd say you should go practice more! (just my take on it)

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Years ago, I worked for a security company while in college and was posted at a construction site away from population…. I burned up 500+ rounds of ammo every week over the months I was out there and entered the AirForce soon afterwards…. I was placed in Law Enforcement after boot camp and earned "Expert" and "Marksman" awards with the 38spcl service revolver and the M-16…. most of the firing with the revolver was "point-and-shoot" whether stationary, pop-up or moving targets at the firing range…. I am a big advocate of the "point-and-shoot" technique because it’s all about muscle memory and proper positioning & placement…. most self-defense situations demand a rapid response to which one has no "time" to take aim and those events take place within 10 yards….

If you HAVE to use your gun sights in a defensive situation, I'd say you should go practice more! (just my take on it)

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s cool. My own experience and training have shown me otherwise. Some drills or competition stages with a large emphasis on speed require point shooting… I can point shoot as much as is reasonable to do so.

There’s a lot of situations that have happened to your average armed citizen in which point shooting would be incredibly irresponsible.

How likely are you to have that exact body positioning and technique in place in a dynamic environment? Are you going to make sure you have natural point of aim while someone is rushing you? How about pointing a weapon at you? What about when you’re looking for cover, scanning outside of that 10 degree window of tunnel vision you might have? How ****ed will you feel when you need to take a more precise shot and you lack the mechanical ability to do so?

You might tell me I need to train more, my response would be it sounds like you need to train BETTER

That’s cool. My own experience and training have shown me otherwise. Some drills or competition stages with a large emphasis on speed require point shooting… I can point shoot as much as is reasonable to do so.

There’s a lot of situations that have happened to your average armed citizen in which point shooting would be incredibly irresponsible.

How likely are you to have that exact body positioning and technique in place in a dynamic environment? Are you going to make sure you have natural point of aim while someone is rushing you? How about pointing a weapon at you? What about when you’re looking for cover, scanning outside of that 10 degree window of tunnel vision you might have? How ****ed will you feel when you need to take a more precise shot and you lack the mechanical ability to do so?

You might tell me I need to train more, my response would be it sounds like you need to train BETTER

I certainly get what you're saying and perhaps my comment of "needing more practice" might not have been necessary... apologies for that if it was an offense... there are some who feel more comfortable and perform better using a laser sight, others a red dot, some others consider iron sights are the only way to shoot.... there are different techniques for most everyone and proficiency depends on how much you shoot and the co-ordination and muscle memory is most important..... as I said in my initial comment, I burned through 500+ rounds/ week for a number of months before I established a level of proficiency with the point-n-shoot technique...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly get what you're saying and perhaps my comment of "needing more practice" might not have been necessary... apologies for that if it was an offense... there are some who feel more comfortable and perform better using a laser sight, others a red dot, some others consider iron sights are the only way to shoot.... there are different techniques for most everyone and proficiency depends on how much you shoot and the co-ordination and muscle memory is most important..... as I said in my initial comment, I burned through 500+ rounds/ week for a number of months before I established a level of proficiency with the point-n-shoot technique...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, dude! None of my posts are meant to be inflammatory or offensive either.

In my opinion, encouraging point shooting in a defensive scenario just sets a dangerous example for new shooters who might focus on the wrong skills to hone.

The difference between point shooting and the other aiming methods mentioned is that the others are tangible, mechanical methods of hitting a target.

Muscle memory is awesome. Being able to be familiar enough with your weapon system that you can shoot it without trying too hard is great. But if you train to more or less shoot by feel (which is essentially what point shooting is) and then you change how you feel (adrenaline, lactic acid build up, injuries, etc) you could potentially leave yourself and those around you at a severe disadvantage.

Having a set of low profile sights isn’t going to hurt in any way. In fact, they could aid in other aspects of gunfighting (racking your pistol one handed, for example)

I’m not trying to change you or anyone else’s mind that’s already made up, by the way. I’m just laying out the counter argument so others browsing can make an informed decision.

Not to mention when you need to remove a threat at a fair distance that is in the middle of a bunch of friendlys.

I guess a simple thread about “what do you think about my CCW” has morphed into a “why you should carry a rifle everywhere”.

One can imagine a million scenarios to illustrate the OP’s choice is wrong, but in the end, the best CCW is the one that is carried, not the 6” barreled target pistol with match sights needed for picking off terrorists holding your seal team hostage across a football field.

It’s a 3-1/2” barreled 1911 for crissakes…how accurate is it going to get adding a front post and a rear blade to such a short sight radius? It’s a point and shoot pistol for point and shoot situations at 21 feet or less, not for head shots at a hundred yards.

F&@& we can come with some bull$&@!

At least no one has thrown out the “I’d rather have 17 rounds of 124grn than only 7 blah blah blah”. To each his own though.

Back
Top Bottom