• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My take on a 1911 CCW .45 acp

To me, that is testing my gear and making sure it works to the best of my ability. It may work on the static range, but that 15-25yd shot that you take once or twice….. I couldn't care less how I think it should work. I want it to work for me when I need it.

Well said!

Most everyone on here has different things that "work for them"…. but it doesn’t mean it should work for EVERYONE…. and that’s what we ALL need to do is "test" our ideas to determine what works for each of us as an individual!… then hone those skills….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've gone 65 years without having a kitchen grease fire or any other type of fire in my home which caused me to grab the fire extinguisher. Are those like common or something??
Apparently not so much anymore, hard to start a grease fire in a microwave.

Op just post you’re sending the slide to Novak before this turns into 26 pages of keyboard commando self defense . On second thought there’s a good chance it’ll get there cause you listened to them I didn’t think this through before I started typing. Glws

I've gone 65 years without having a kitchen grease fire or any other type of fire in my home which caused me to grab the fire extinguisher. Are those like common or something??

I gotta ask the same question. My stoves have always been gas, so I have an open flame……but not a single grease fire.

Hard to believe you’ve gone 25 years without a kitchen grease fire. clearly the ODT resident expert on all things self defense related, but let me iff fire extinguisher placement
I gotta ask the same question. My stoves have always been gas, so I have an open flame……but not a single grease fire.
You’re undeniably the ODT resident firearm and self defense expert but allow me to offer some expertise of my own…(and this serves to educate but will also illustrate the various scenarios we concoct on ODT to justify or dismiss a weapon choice 😉)

Keeping a fire extinguisher in one’s kitchen is not the best plan. Many put a dry chem or ABC extinguisher under the sink (good extinguisher choice, wrong location) What they don’t think about is this: if you have a flash fire or fire breaks out in or on your stove/oven (the most common home fire), the last place you want to be is two feet away from that fire rifling through junk under the sink trying to find an extinguisher. The extinguisher should be placed out of the kitchen and out of the laundry room (dryers being another common ignition point). Think mud room or hall closet. One should be able to retrieve a well placed and unobstructed extinguisher and then deploy it while entering from a safe position rather than trying to deploy it in the hot zone and then worrying about backwards egress. Not many folks think about actually fighting the fire when they throw their little extinguisher under the sink or on a shelf above the dryer…half the time, still in the manufacturer’s box!

But to each their own, someone may have a ginormous kitchen (unlike mine) and their sink is thirty feet from the stove and a perfectly safe position to retrieve and attack a rapidly growing fire.

Next week on Fire Marshall Roy, we’ll talk about how “I’ll just use my kitchen sink sprayer if there’s a grease fire!” for the folks that carry Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs 😉

Ps…seriously, thanks for your continuously thoughtful and intelligent responses to our amateur debates.

You’re undeniably the ODT resident firearm and self defense expert but allow me to offer some expertise of my own…(and this serves to educate but will also illustrate the various scenarios we concoct on ODT to justify or dismiss a weapon choice 😉)

Keeping a fire extinguisher in one’s kitchen is not the best plan. Many put a dry chem or ABC extinguisher under the sink (good extinguisher choice, wrong location) What they don’t think about is this: if you have a flash fire or fire breaks out in or on your stove/oven (the most common home fire), the last place you want to be is two feet away from that fire rifling through junk under the sink trying to find an extinguisher. The extinguisher should be placed out of the kitchen and out of the laundry room (dryers being another common ignition point). Think mud room or hall closet. One should be able to retrieve a well placed and unobstructed extinguisher and then deploy it while entering from a safe position rather than trying to deploy it in the hot zone and then worrying about backwards egress. Not many folks think about actually fighting the fire when they throw their little extinguisher under the sink or on a shelf above the dryer…half the time, still in the manufacturer’s box!

But to each their own, someone may have a ginormous kitchen (unlike mine) and their sink is thirty feet from the stove and a perfectly safe position to retrieve and attack a rapidly growing fire.

Next week on Fire Marshall Roy, we’ll talk about how “I’ll just use my kitchen sink sprayer if there’s a grease fire!” for the folks that carry Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs 😉

Ps…seriously, thanks for your continuously thoughtful and intelligent responses to our amateur debates.
I found this genuinely useful and thought provoking

Back
Top Bottom