• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My take on a 1911 CCW .45 acp

I guess a simple thread about “what do you think about my CCW” has morphed into a “why you should carry a rifle everywhere”.
I’m explaining what I think of the gun. It’s literally what he asked for.
It’s a 3-1/2” barreled 1911 for crissakes…how accurate is it going to get adding a front post and a rear blade?
This is hilarious

I guess a simple thread about “what do you think about my CCW” has morphed into a “why you should carry a rifle everywhere”.

One can imagine a million scenarios to illustrate the OP’s choice is wrong, but in the end, the best CCW is the one that is carried, not the 6” barreled target pistol with match sights needed for picking off terrorists holding your seal team hostage across a football field.

It’s a 3-1/2” barreled 1911 for crissakes…how accurate is it going to get adding a front post and a rear blade to such a short sight radius? It’s a point and shoot pistol for point and shoot situations at 21 feet or less, not for head shots at a hundred yards.

F&@& we can come with some bull$&@!

At least no one has thrown out the “I’d rather have 17 rounds of 124grn than only 7 blah blah blah”. To each his own though.

I bet there are folks who can run a 3in barrel better than some folks can run a 6in barrel up close or at distance…

No worries, dude! None of my posts are meant to be inflammatory or offensive either.

In my opinion, encouraging point shooting in a defensive scenario just sets a dangerous example for new shooters who might focus on the wrong skills to hone.

The difference between point shooting and the other aiming methods mentioned is that the others are tangible, mechanical methods of hitting a target.

Muscle memory is awesome. Being able to be familiar enough with your weapon system that you can shoot it without trying too hard is great. But if you train to more or less shoot by feel (which is essentially what point shooting is) and then you change how you feel (adrenaline, lactic acid build up, injuries, etc) you could potentially leave yourself and those around you at a severe disadvantage.

Having a set of low profile sights isn’t going to hurt in any way. In fact, they could aid in other aspects of gunfighting (racking your pistol one handed, for example)

I’m not trying to change you or anyone else’s mind that’s already made up, by the way. I’m just laying out the counter argument so others browsing can make an informed decision.

No argument with any of your points…well said, well taken… but I would also clarify that the "point-n-shoot" technique looses its accuracy and effectiveness once you move outside of about ten yards…. unless, of course, your name is "Roy Rogers"….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No argument with any of your points…well said, well taken… but I would also clarify that the "point-n-shoot" technique looses its accuracy and effectiveness once you move outside of about ten yards…. unless, of course, your name is "Roy Rogers"….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
if I’m outside of point and shoot range I’m also trying to increase that distance ! Lol
07CDEBEA-1297-433C-8332-ED8DCF4ACE40.gif

For the average Joe on here, how often are you going to engage a threat and actually fire a shot?
I ran my 1911 Gov’t model for 20 years without a front sight. Made it a smoother draw as I was Mexican carry, IWB no holster. No one I had to present it to ever seemed to notice.

Nice execution on yours, OP.

For the average Joe on here, how often are you going to engage a threat and actually fire a shot?
I ran my 1911 Gov’t model for 20 years without a front sight. Made it a smoother draw as I was Mexican carry, IWB no holster. No one I had to present it to ever seemed to notice.

Nice execution on yours, OP.

That's like saying there's no reason for me to keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen because I've never used it in 25 years.

We train and prepare for what COULD happen, not what HAS happened.

That's like saying there's no reason for me to keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen because I've never used it in 25 years.

We train and prepare for what COULD happen, not what HAS happened.
Hard to believe you’ve gone 25 years without a kitchen grease fire.

Look at the top photo of the slide closer, it is knurled for aid in racking one handed and the knurling creates three distinct troughs left,right and CENTER it does create a simple sight rail if needed.

There's a lot of comments about what could or should be done on how to setup your CCW. All good stuff. Want to try it out? Simunitions with your carry gun setup. Period. You'll find where and when you use your sights and how good you are under some stress to A LOT of stress.

cmshoot cmshoot does these in crawl walk run class format from time to time although he provides the weapons. If you go to Gunbroker or Ebay you can pickup a used or sometime new drop in sims kit for your weapon. I think anyone serious about training should do it at least once whether with your firearm or another.

I know cmshoot cmshoot sims training works. I've been to other Sims classes with new and different scenarios and did well. As in top 3% well. If you setup a gun for carry, practice with it and find other ways to practice besides the static range. Shoot & move, train with a partner, as cmshoot said train and prepare for what COULD happen. To me, that is testing my gear and making sure it works to the best of my ability. It may work on the static range, but that 15-25yd shot that you take once or twice in Sims training could easily show you that your sights are inadequate while under stress. I couldn't care less how I think it should work. I want it to work for me when I need it.

Some may see this as divergent from the topic at hand. I don't. So my apologies if this is thread drift.

Back
Top Bottom