• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My weekend started off bad

Boats in Georgia do not have titles.

OP's only recourse is against whoever he bought the boat from.

Not just theory, 40 years ago bank in local town was floor planning cars for a local dealer, bank manager thought he got a good deal on a truck, had the bank he worked for finance the purchase.

Turned out the local car dealer was fencing hot cars from the NE, FBI swooped in, seized all the vehicles, including the banker's. He ended up paying for a truck he couldn't drive.

Years later, had similar situation with a JD tractor. Learned a valuable lesson from that affair - if you want to fence stolen stuff heavy equipment is the way to go, because again, there are no titles. Move it 10 counties away and it looks like every other JD tractor in the county. JD Finance found the tractor and repossessed it from the "owner", who was screwed, and when he went after his seller, the seller filed bankruptcy.

Anyway, OP's only possible recourse is against whoever sold it to him.
There is a lot of money that has been "made" on stolen heavy equipment. I've heard if tractors being loaded in the night and vanish. I've heard of "stolen" tractors being found buried after years of being missing and insurance checks cashed. I guess it's hard to spot a stolen John Deere since they are all green

I know guys that leave heavy equipment at job sites. I would never do that for the above reasons. Jump state lines for an immediate payoff worth thousands. No title needed to sell or use it, and a good chance the owner does not even know the serial number.

I know guys that leave heavy equipment at job sites. I would never do that for the above reasons. Jump state lines for an immediate payoff worth thousands. No title needed to sell or use it, and a good chance the owner does not even know the serial number.
$5000 four wheeler has a coded key. Some have to be cut other programmed. $500000 John Deere tractor can all be cranked with one of three keys. Over never understood

Had this happen to me several years ago with a jet ski. Bought it off of Craigslist and when I went to get a new registration it came back stolen. Thankfully I still had the guys number, called him and told him that I had given his name to the detective and he gladly refunded my money.

Well that sucks. I never thought it about but did you have insurance on the boat? I assume so if you had a loan. How does insurance handle an item that has been "pre stolen". I guess they can't insure it, legally, even if the current "owner" was unaware. So jacked up. In for final resolution, though I'm not sure how it'll be good. :(

Back
Top Bottom