• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Life Before Cell Phone

Yeah, had the same mom. Don't come back til it's getting dark. She'd yell my name off the back deck and I remember being what now I know as over a mile away, going "wait, listen.... that's my mom. Gotta go. See yall tomorrow!" And run through every back yard to make it the straightest shot. Woulda been 3 miles if I stuck to roads.

Walking home from school at 6 years old for a few miles. Keeping big sticks in the woods for the spooky places. Running fro dogs and plotting revenge on them for the nips.

Tonka Toys made of all metal, slot car race tracks, Matchbox cars, hand-me-down bikes from older brothers, 4 channels on TV (with Saturday mornings being the best), Summers that lasted forever, Topps bubble gum cards, listening to songs on the radio or a stack of 45RPM records, Keds high-top tennis shoes, nature hikes in the woods, climbing trees, prank phone calls, and so many other things that no longer exist as they did in the 60s and 70s. Seems all the fun and enjoyment of childhood has been regulated out of society now.

Tonka Toys made of all metal, slot car race tracks, Matchbox cars, hand-me-down bikes from older brothers, 4 channels on TV (with Saturday mornings being the best), Summers that lasted forever, Topps bubble gum cards, listening to songs on the radio or a stack of 45RPM records, Keds high-top tennis shoes, nature hikes in the woods, climbing trees, prank phone calls, and so many other things that no longer exist as they did in the 60s and 70s. Seems all the fun and enjoyment of childhood has been regulated out of society now.
Video games and helicopter parenting don’t help. Plus, nobody’s got a sense of humor anymore.
Some of the stuff we did as kids would land us in juvy now.
(‘Course some of the stuff I did then would have landed me there if I’d have gotten caught).

Back
Top Bottom