Need help turning 1964 4000 Ford Tractor

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
I finally replaced the muffler and first section of exhaust pipe and put a kit in the carb. New plugs, points, act like it is chocking down, skips about every 50 or so feet going downhill. but up a slight grade skips only half as often. I had about an inch of old gas in it and good neighbor gave me a gallon or so of fresh non-ethanol gas. Apparently there is a new gas station on Bells Ferry near the I-75 overpass that sells non-ethanol gas. Turning the mixture adjust doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I may not have the gas mixed well yet or enough of the non-ethanol in it.
002.JPG
Thoughts?

I finally replaced the muffler and first section of exhaust pipe and put a kit in the carb. New plugs, points, act like it is chocking down, skips about every 50 or so feet going downhill. but up a slight grade skips only half as often. I had about an inch of old gas in it and good neighbor gave me a gallon or so of fresh non-ethanol gas. Apparently there is a new gas station on Bells Ferry near the I-75 overpass that sells non-ethanol gas. Turning the mixture adjust doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I may not have the gas mixed well yet or enough of the non-ethanol in it. View attachment 789293 Thoughts?

Did you actually clean the carb, or just put the kit in it? I suspect there's some varnish buildup in some of the passages if it wasn't soaked/cleaned properly. Of course, that old gas probably isn't helping much. I try to drain as much out as possible when trying to get an engine running properly.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Did you actually clean the carb, or just put the kit in it? I suspect there's some varnish buildup in some of the passages if it wasn't soaked/cleaned properly. Of course, that old gas probably isn't helping much. I try to drain as much out as possible when trying to get an engine running properly.

I thought I cleaned it pretty good with carb cleaner and blew it out good with compressed air. I think I will get several gallons of the good gas tomorrow. I'll run most of the old gas out first. Thanks.

Here's a couple of stations in Kennesaw with ethanol free...you can go to the website for others.

[Broken External Image]:
2 Selected Pure Gas Stations in Georgia
City Brand Octane Name Phone Street Address Last Updated
Kennesaw QUIKTRIP 87 Quiktrip 770-420-3358 4433 Wade Green Rd 2016-04-21
Kennesaw RACE TRAC 87 Racetrac 678-494-3332 4331 Bells Ferry Rd 2016-05-15

I thought I cleaned it pretty good with carb cleaner and blew it out good with compressed air. I think I will get several gallons of the good gas tomorrow. I'll run most of the old gas out first. Thanks.
Nothing beats a soak. I use a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with a mix of 10/1 water/Pine Sol.

Also need to change the fuel filter if you have not done so.

Yeah, did that when I cleaned out fuel bowl.
If it is skipping it could also be plug wires or the distributor cap has a problem . Old wires or a wire which is grounding will cause skipping . how are the wires routed

Plug wires are almost new, very short wires as distributor is close to all plugs, wire routing not much choice, but I am not sure I replaced cap. Will do that. Thanks. I did rewire it as it was a jumble, converted to 12 volts - alternator - left voltage regulator and using it as a wire connector. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom