NEED HELP WTIH 07 CAMRY 2AZ-FE 4 CYL ENGINE

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry with the 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine that has a history of becoming oil burners. Toyota has extended the warranty on these engines to 10 years and 150,000 miles. I am beyond those limits time wise and have but 43,000 miles on my Camry with no indication of a problem yet. I use 10w-30 Mobil one fully synthetic oil and have since day one.

My current plan is to have the pistons and rings replaced at the first sign of the engine accumalating any carbon as indicated by blackening of the oil. I have 3200 miles on the current oil change and the oil is as clear as it was when it came out of the can.

Toyota no-service say they cannot do this. All they can do is install the Toyota $3200 kit after the engines become an excessive oil burner in which case the engine is most likely severly damaged or at least more damaged than I am willing to allow my engine to become. Their labor is another 3600 which just about equals the value of the car.

I may have found a shop in Chamblee GA that will do this. Most shops just swap out engines as there appears to be an abundance of 50,000 mile engines from Japan.

Is there a mechanic on here that would be interested in doing this kind of work. Just replace the pistons and rings. I think this can be done without removing the engine although a fair amount of stuff would have to be removed to drop the oil pan and removing the head is not a simple task. The last engine I built was in 2001, a 351 Cleveland that went in a '69 Mustang.

Thanks for reading.

Mtnsmith

You would be better off dropping another engine in. An engine with that many miles could have ridges in the cylinder, which require it to be honed before you put new rings on the pistons. The bearings could be worn and need replacing, the crank may have to be turned and then you need oversize bearings, it goes on and on. You would basically need to rebuild the engine. I would drive it until it starts having issues, and then sell it, or drop in a new motor.

yup i'd drive it how it is until it has a seriousness enough problem to have to replace the engine. But now when your talking abotu it becoming an oil burner, is that the only general problem? i've had lots of vehicles that burned a fair amount of oil but never had a problem. Hell one of the last miatas i sold i used as a commuter slave and it would burn a quart at least every two weeks the entire time i had it, never gave me and issue in 40k miles and 3 years.

Only 43,000 miles?
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry with the 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine that has a history of becoming oil burners. Toyota has extended the warranty on these engines to 10 years and 150,000 miles. I am beyond those limits time wise and have but 43,000 miles on my Camry with no indication of a problem yet. I use 10w-30 Mobil one fully synthetic oil and have since day one.

My current plan is to have the pistons and rings replaced at the first sign of the engine accumalating any carbon as indicated by blackening of the oil. I have 3200 miles on the current oil change and the oil is as clear as it was when it came out of the can.

Toyota no-service say they cannot do this. All they can do is install the Toyota $3200 kit after the engines become an excessive oil burner in which case the engine is most likely severly damaged or at least more damaged than I am willing to allow my engine to become. Their labor is another 3600 which just about equals the value of the car.

I may have found a shop in Chamblee GA that will do this. Most shops just swap out engines as there appears to be an abundance of 50,000 mile engines from Japan.

Is there a mechanic on here that would be interested in doing this kind of work. Just replace the pistons and rings. I think this can be done without removing the engine although a fair amount of stuff would have to be removed to drop the oil pan and removing the head is not a simple task. The last engine I built was in 2001, a 351 Cleveland that went in a '69 Mustang.

Thanks for reading.

Mtnsmith

You can buy a lot of oil for $3200 if that is the only problem it has. I would change your oil every 3,000 miles since you only put 43,000 miles in 10 years. My oil is always black when I change mine in every vehicle I ever owned. But if its not broken don't fix it.

Like others have said, if it does start burning oil, just keep a good check on it. I have a little s10 that burns about a quart a month, purs like a kitten. Only thing I do different is I take out the spark plugs every oil change and spray them with carb cleaner to knock off the extra carbon from the burning oil.

43000 miles? I ran a Jetta with 350k, 97 corolla, 257k 99 corolla 120k, 99 grand am (that one was a problem, leaked more than what it used) all burned oil, about a qt every 1k-2k miles (except for the 99). Wouldn't touch it, just add oil if it needs it. Ran mobil 1 in all of mine including the wife's 2012 camery v6, 10k oil change, filter every 5k.
From what I understood with the problem on the 2AZ-F4 engine was heat, high oil temp, making carbon. If you are running a full syn, It should be good, that was their fix, from what I remember.
3200 bucks buys a lot of oil, then swap it out and buy a newer one.

Only 43,000 miles?

You can buy a lot of oil for $3200 if that is the only problem it has. I would change your oil every 3,000 miles since you only put 43,000 miles in 10 years. My oil is always black when I change mine in every vehicle I ever owned. But if its not broken don't fix it.

I don't intend to fix it until it show indication of becoming an oil burner. The toyota service guy that quoted the $3200 repair kit and stated they could not just buy new pistons and rings was less than truthful - yesterday I called the Toyota parts department of the same dealer and he said yep, he can get me rings and pistons.

43000 miles? I ran a Jetta with 350k, 97 corolla, 257k 99 corolla 120k, 99 grand am (that one was a problem, leaked more than what it used) all burned oil, about a qt every 1k-2k miles (except for the 99). Wouldn't touch it, just add oil if it needs it. Ran mobil 1 in all of mine including the wife's 2012 camery v6, 10k oil change, filter every 5k.
From what I understood with the problem on the 2AZ-F4 engine was heat, high oil temp, making carbon. If you are running a full syn, It should be good, that was their fix, from what I remember.
3200 bucks buys a lot of oil, then swap it out and buy a newer one.

The engine does make carbon and the holes in the piston ring grooves get clogged up and Toyota after a check that shows it is using 1.2 quarts or more in 1000 miles, will put in the $3200 kit at their expense if the car is not over 10 years old and 150,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom