• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need more power

Status
Not open for further replies.

acman

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
81   0
Reaction score
I have a 98 f-150 with the 4.6 v8. I bought a pop-up camper and my truck lacks power for pulling camper like I want it to. Anyone here had any luck boosting power with aftermarket parts. Just though I would ask before I looked at stepping up to a f-250. I didn't want to buy bunch of stuff that really wouldn't give the power I need . Thanks any first hand experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt spend the money on a CAI and a cam. The CAI will be about $200 and may net you 2-3hp, if you're lucky. A cam, if you cannot install it yourself, will be $500+. I would just assume sell the old girl and step up to a 250.

I use to pull a dual axle camper with my 2000 F150 4.6 also. I never had much of a problem.... the only after market equipment I put on was the dual exhaust...... Recently I picked up another F150 with a 5.4liter engine....300hp vs about230hp.... you may go that way.... although, it seemed people are giving away the larger v8 trucks....

I have a 98 f-150 with the 4.6 v8. I bought a pop-up camper and my truck lacks power for pulling camper like I want it to. Anyone here had any luck boosting power with aftermarket parts. Just though I would ask before I looked at stepping up to a f-250. I didn't want to buy bunch of stuff that really wouldn't give the power I need . Thanks any first hand experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

buy a dodge :) :pop2:

Since you are concerned with towing, your needs are for more low end torque. The quickest way to low end torque is more cubic inches or forced induction (supercharger). It is unlikely that you will want to go either of those routes on a 1998 vehicle because of the expense.

In the long run, it would probably be less expensive for you to trade up to a F-250 (or the equivalent in some other brand of truck).

Before you start adding power, how many miles are on this truck? The supercharger would be the the best route to a power increase for several reasons, but adding power to a high mileage truck can be a problem. With the combo of more weight and higher power you could find yourself in need of a transmission or engine rebuild very quickly. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is better suited to the task, not just because power, but also the stronger driveline, suspension, engine/transmission cooling, and braking power. You may find you money better invested in trading into a heavier used truck.

A pop-up camper doesn't weigh that much that a 4.6 liter engine can't handle it. I tow campers, a boat and other misc trailers with a Tacoma 4.0 liter V6. U shouldn't have any trouble towing a pop-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom